Data sorting, Min/Max, selective calculation function help.

AdamMK

Hi. I'm using Excel 2003 with WinXP SP2.

I'm trying to make a spreadsheet to calculate my GPA for my studies. I can get everything to work fine except I want to be able to calculate an adjusted GPA based on a certain value of classes to drop.

The way it would work ideally is that I would be able to search/sort a data set and if it contained "X" number of entries then the "Y" number of lowest marks would be omitted from the AGPA calculation.

I'm having trouble designing a function/formula or scheme to sort the data range, and identify the lowest "Y" number of entries and recalculate the GPA without using them.

Any general help would be appreciated. I will post my spreadsheet when I get home today if it would help to have a look at it.

AdamMK

Thanks. It doesn't make sense because I'm trying to drop credit hours and not letter grades. I'll try to work with what you've given me to adapt the code to be accurate.

The problem is that courses can be worth 3credits or 6credits. If I got an A in a 6credit course I would effectively have 2 A's to calculate with. If I wanted to drop 30 credit hours according to my formula, then I would be dropping the 30/3=10 lowest letter grades in my calculation.

I think I need to add an extra field or go about calculating things a bit differently for it to work properly.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
If I wanted to drop 30 credit hours according to my formula, then I would be dropping the 30/3=10 lowest letter grades in my calculation.

In that case, just take the reference to H2 in the formula, and devide it by 3..
change
Code:
=AVERAGE(INDIRECT("I2:I" & COUNTA($C:$C)-$H2))

to
Code:
=AVERAGE(INDIRECT("I2:I" & COUNTA($C:$C)-($H2/3)))

Upvote 0
However, deviding H2 by 3 may result in a fraction #. Not a whole #, and that would mess thigs up.

You would need to ROUND the result of H2/3..

If you want it rounded up

=AVERAGE(INDIRECT("I2:I" & COUNTA($C:$C)-ROUNDUP($H2/3),0)))

If you want it rounded down

=AVERAGE(INDIRECT("I2:I" & COUNTA($C:$C)-INT($H2/3))))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moonlight6

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back