Data transfer from variable source

srcasm83

I need to transfer data from another spreadsheet. The title of the current spreadsheet is 01-10-09.xls and I need to get data from spreadsheet 01-09-09.xls (the day before) I already have the formula that gives me the day before in cell C40, so I need a formula that uses the date in cell C40 as the title of the spreadsheet that I am pulling data from. For example i would need data from [C40.xls]C8. I hope this makes sense. Thanks!

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Note however that XL's standard INDIRECT function would only work were the target file open... if it is not open you will need to use alternate approach.

Upvote 0
The cell I'm transferring TO is tab "Grave daily sum" cell A8. This is where the formula is going. The filename of the file I'm transferring FROM is on tab "Report" cell C40 (This cell generates the day before). The cell I'm transferring FROM is on file: "(Report!C40).xls" tab: "Swing daily sum" cell: "C8" I have no idea how to write the formula.

Upvote 0
I came close with ='[01-09-09.xls]Swing daily sum'!C8, but I need the date to change every day, so it doesn't work. And I want to be able to do it without having the target file open.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foxpro

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back