data val - text length quickie

ajm

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
i want to limit the length of entry to a cell to the number of characters available in the tab name. i noticed while setting the criteria to Text length smaller than 32, this will work for alpha characters, but not necessarily for numbers. is the a simple function to limit the characters to 32 without coding?

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Try the validation option on the data menu.

Allow = Text Length
Data = less than or equal to
Maximum = 32

Should work for numbers also

Upvote 0
thanks but no. unlimited numbers. text is limited to 32. i need to be able to limit character length to 32 - alpha and numeric.

Upvote 0
The above worked for me for Just numeric or Just text or combination of both. Or am I misunderstanding what you are after. Are you autofilling cells? As I am pretty sure that the data validation doesn't autofill either.

Upvote 0
not autofilling. and when my numerics go over 32 characters, they revert to scientific format. so, if i enter 1-9 three times and then 12345 to take the number of characters over 32, i should get an error message. instead, i get 1.23456789123456E+31 (which is technically below 32 characters, i guess). I can't imagine anybody naming a spreadheet with a numeric string with more than 32 numbers, even with my vivid imagination. i was merely trying to lock everything down to limit mistakes. I think i'll just leave it as is. many thanks for your help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back