Data Validation based on List and value in other cells

STEVEMILLS04

Board Regular
Thank you in advance for any help provided!

I have a column that has a data validation list which is =Potential. I need to change it to a formula that will change if a particular set of events occurs.

Cell J is the first cell the user changes, the should initially be able to select from the Potential list. Then, once 7 other columns are filled in based on a list, cell AK changes to complete. All 7 columns have a score depending on the data selected. If the score does not meetsa minimum requirement, cell AJ changes to Change. Only when cell J is originally seleted as Promotable and when cell AK is complete and cell AJ is Change, cell J should then be changed to "Well Placed". Otherwise, cell J will stay as the user original selected from the drop down list.

If Cell AK is equal to incomplete, the user should be able to select from the Potential data list. If cells AK = Complete, AJ = Change and the user originally selected Promotable in cell J, cell J should change to "Well Placed".

This is the formula I have in the data validation but it tells me there is an error. Still lets me select OK but does not give the desired results.

=IF(AK:AK="INCOMPLETE",Potential,IF(AND(AK:AK="COMPLETE",AJ:AJ="CHANGE",J:J="Promotable"),"Well Placed",Potential))

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Why are you using entire columns in your formula? Note that a cell can contain Data Validation or a formula, but not both. Changing the value of a cell that contains Data Validation would require some VBA code in the Worksheet_Change or Worksheet_Calculate event procedure.

Upvote 0
Andrew,

This was the 100th formula I tried. I originally had $AK3, etc... but it kept giving me an error so I figured I would keep trying other things.

Would you be able to assist me with the VBA? I do not know much about it.

Thank you again.

Upvote 0
Try this in the module for the worksheet:

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    Dim Cell As Range
    If Application.Intersect(Target, Range("M3:M378,S3:X378")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    For Each Cell In Target
        If Range("J" & Target.Row).Value = "Promotable" And Range("AJ" & Target.Row).Value = "CHANGE" And Range("AK" & Target.Row).Value = "COMPLETE" Then
            Range("J" & Target.Row).Value = "Well Placed"
        End If
    Next Cell
    Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spamiki

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back