Data Validation Circles Blank Cells

EvonS

I have a large spreadsheet that I have pasted values into from another worksheet (I literally used 'paste values' from the context menu). The sheet I'm pasting into is set up with drop down menus that the data i'm pasting needs to match. I am attempting to us data validation circles to find the items that don't match my drop-down list but Excel keeps circling cells that are blank even though the 'ignore blank' option is checked. Here's what I've tried:

1. The circle clears when I press 'delete' in one of these circled cells but it's far too many cells for me to do that manually.
  2. =code('cell reference') returns '#value' which i believe means the cell is blank
  3. When I copy a particular column, paste it into notepad, then paste it back into excel, that clears the circle. But, again, this will take too long to do.

Thanks in advance for the help

Sincerely,

Evon

jmacleary

Office Version
Platform
Windows
Have you tried copying one of these 'blank' cells, the using find and replace to replace whatever is there with blank?

Akuini

Office Version
Platform
Windows
Try this:
1. Select the range then run the code
2. Click Circle Invalid Data

Code:
[FONT=Lucida Console][COLOR=Royalblue]Sub[/COLOR] to_ClearBlank()
[COLOR=Royalblue]Dim[/COLOR] c [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] Range
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    [COLOR=Royalblue]For[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Each[/COLOR] c In Selection
    [COLOR=Royalblue]If[/COLOR] Len(c) = [COLOR=Brown]0[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]And[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Not[/COLOR] IsEmpty(c) [COLOR=Royalblue]Then[/COLOR] c.ClearContents
    [COLOR=Royalblue]Next[/COLOR]
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
[COLOR=Royalblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Sub[/COLOR]
[/FONT]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ladeko

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics