Data validation dropdown list

gta1216

Board Regular
I have a dropdown list created from data validation. I'm trying to create a dropdown list that shows the abbreviation and on the right it shows the name of the US state. When the state is selected, only the abbreviation will be displayed in the cell. I do not want to use macro. Is this possible?

I currently have over 300 rows and over 30 columns of data that I want to convert.

You create a lookup table of the states & their abbreviations as shown in columns A & B, then the data validation is in D2 using the states as the list & then in E2 their is a vlookup formula that returns the abbreviation.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
I don't understand how this works.
You have a column of state names. You use this for your data validation list in D2. Select a state (Alaska in the example). You have another column of two-letter abbreviations. In E2, you have a VLOOKUP formula that finds the two-letter abbreviation for the state selected in D2.

Upvote 0
Thanks fir the explanation.
So I will pick the state (spelled out) in 1 column and the abbreviation will display in another column correct? This will not work for what I'm trying to do. I don't want the spelled out version to display.

Upvote 0
In that case use the suggestion by shaowu459.
Although if you are going to use the displayed value in any formulae, you are going to have problems.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back