Data Validation Error Dialogue - CANCEL and HELP button problems

Ark68

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a cell on my worksheet that relies on cell validation. If the user enters an invalid entry, the error dialogue box is displayed. They are given three options: Retry, Cancel, or Help.

1) If they select help, it loads up a Microsoft website offering validation help. Not really helpful to the user who erred in data entry. Can this Help button be customized?
2) If the user selects Cancel, any code associated with the change event of that cell in which an invalid entry was made triggers. This of course leads to an error because the code relies on a valid entry in that cell. What does one do to ensure that cancel doesn't advance the code.

Can the CANCEL and HELP buttons be removed?

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
Apparently, the Help button has to stay (silly), but I read that with the CANCEL button "If the Cancel button is clicked, the invalid entry is deleted, and the cell's original content is restored."
In my situation, this isn't happening. Any thoughts as to why when I press Cancel my macro resumes carrying with it invalid data?

Upvote 0
Figured it out.
I added some code to check for a null value and exit before the code relying on the valid value was encountered.

Upvote 0
Glad to hear you got the solution.

If you would like to post the solution containing that 'some code' you mentioned then it is perfectly fine to mark your post as the solution to help future readers. Otherwise, please do not mark a post that doesn't contain a solution.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrauni

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back