Data validation formula to prevent duplicates in any cell across multiple columns

hyd1956

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi

I'm trying to prevent duplicates from being entered into any cell in multiple columns and across any row, the formulas I've been trying haven't worked. This is what I'm using, is there anyway to do this? thanks for thelp

=COUNTIFS($B$2:$B$6000,$B2,$D$2:$D$6000,$D2,$F$2:$F$6000,$F2)<=1

The way that I read your question was that you wanted it to reject duplicate rows (same name and email acceptable with different activity or same activity with different name or email). From a quick test it does what you asked for.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Perhaps I am not applying it properly in the Data Validation function then. I am highlighting only the columns that I need validated and inserting the formula. When I test it, the next line in the spreadsheet allows me to enter the exact same information from the line above and does not give an error message.

Upvote 0
As I said earlier
applied as validation rule to C2, then copied to the other rows / columns to be validated as needed.
If you're trying to apply it to entire columns then you would need to base the formula against row 1, not row 2.
When choosing the type of validation rule, you must use 'Custom' for this to work.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristineC

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back