Data Validation from Sorted List

lvotava

I am fairly new to using Excel for database type stuff. I am trying to get data validation to create a drop down menu from the items on a sorted list. I will try to explain:

I have a list of all my Projects from 2010 in one column, and in the next column they are either listed as active or completed.

On another worksheet I have a timesheet with a column to designate the project and then seven columns to designate each day of the week. I want the Project column to have pulldown lists where I would just see "active" projects from my original project list. I can only figure out how to get it to show all the projects. Is there a way to do this? I just spend 3.5 hours trying to figure this out with no luck.

Thanks,

Louisa

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Welcome to the Board!

You might want to try Data-->Autofilter. It will allow you to select the criteria you want and only show what meets it.

I am fairly new to using Excel for database type stuff.

I'm not trying to be flippant here, but Excel ain't a database. ;) If you're getting to the point where you're thinking you are, then you should be using one. Fortunately Excel & Access work remarkably well with eachother.

Upvote 0
Honestly, I usually don't use these types of programs so I'm probably throwing around big words like "database" without knowing exactly what this means--my b. Maybe my real question is whether what I want to do is even something that excel can handle.

Essentially my goal is to create one sheet with lists of all my projects for the year with project numbers, company names, start dates, due dates, finish dates, total project hours, total project pay and whether the project is active or complete. This is easy enough--a standard spread sheet. Creating this as a list I can quickly sort to just show active projects, etc.

Then I want other worksheets with weekly time sheets--but using dropdown lists of just "active" projects. This is what I can't figure out if excel can handle.

Eventually it would also be great to find a way to add these time sheets for the month to create invoices, but one step at a time.

So: is this all possible?

BTW, I'm using MS Office 2004 for mac. This does not include MS Access.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alex78

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back