Data Validation from Variable Source List Range

mobilesuit818

Hello,
This is my first of my many posts. I am excited to have found a place where we can learn from each other. Anyways, with my question.
I am not keen on the terms that you guys are using, but I will explain the situation.

I have a spreadsheet, in a cell, the data had been validated, and selected to list, so basically, I have a drop down box with 4 options. I would like to find out what it is called AND help figure out a formula so that when one of the items have been selected inside the drop down box, that based on what it selected in the drop down box, there will be certain things or varaiables that will come up in other cells. So lets say for example that in the drop down box, there are the selections of SUV, TRUCK, CAR, MOTORCYCLE. So lets say you scroll and pick SUV, some other fields somewhere on the spreadsheet that some cells have pre-filled from a preselected list based on that selection.

I did a search and found this post by coggo. Im not too sure if they are talking about the same thing.
http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?t=10413&highlight=value+specific

I hope that I have provided as much info as I can, since this is my first post, please let me know what I am doing incorrectly.

Much obliged

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
Welcome to the board.

You *may* be refering to what's called dependent lists (where if you select SUV in the first box, the second drop down list would give you options of Explorer, Expedition, etc. If you select Truck, you'd get F150, F250 as the list for your second range). If that's what you mean, have a look at Aladin's writeup here http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?p=154#154

If that's not what you mean, perhaps you're just looking for a VLOOKUP formula?

Upvote 0
Welcome to the board.

You *may* be refering to what's called dependent lists (where if you select SUV in the first box, the second drop down list would give you options of Explorer, Expedition, etc. If you select Truck, you'd get F150, F250 as the list for your second range). If that's what you mean, have a look at Aladin's writeup here http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?p=154#154

If that's not what you mean, perhaps you're just looking for a VLOOKUP formula?
I have just finished reading the post, that was amazing, but it didnt quite go to what i wanted to do.
allow me to explain with my analogy with the types of cars, imagine you select SUV, well, lets say right under it, it would give you all the options, like explorer, expedition, 4runner, each option, in its own cell, not listed in a drop down box.

I hope I was clear on that one. Maybe I am looking for a Vlookup.? I dont know

Much obliged

Upvote 0
This is what my worksheet looks like.

Product Type
Plastic <--- This is the variable A

Color <----------
Texture <-----
Weight <---
Height <--Data A Based on Variable A, this will change corresponding
Diameter <---- to Chart A
Gauge <----------

Chart A-This are COLUMNS listed as Plastic, Metal, Wire, and Apparel with their corresponding data that will fill in at DATA A.
Plastic Metal Wire Apparel
Weight Weight Weight Weight(oz)
Height Height Height Weight(gm)
Depth Depth Depth Construction
Top Width Tops Width Top Width Content
Bottom Width Bottom Width Bottom Width Finishing
Thickeness/Gauge Thickness/Gauge Thickness/Gauge Color
Color Color Color
Texture Finishing

Please help!!

Upvote 0
Given PLASTIC as an entry, are there

a] more than 1 possible entries for the other cells, or

b] only 1 entry for any of the other cells

which would be correct for the entry PLASTIC?

Upvote 0
This is my sheet that I am working on.
spec sheet template new test.xls
ABCDEFG
1Finished Product Standards
2Product Type
3MetalPlasticMetalWireApparel
4Product CompositionWeightWeightWeightWeight(oz)
5HeightHeightHeightWeight(gm)
6ColorDepthDepthDepthConstruction
7TextureTop WidthTops WidthTop WidthContent
8WeightBottom WidthBottom WidthBottom WidthFinishing
9HeightThickeness/GaugeThickness/GaugeThickness/GaugeColor
10DiameterColorColorColor
11GaugeTextureFinishing
Sheet3

Given PLASTIC as an entry, are there

a] more than 1 possible entries for the other cells, or

b] only 1 entry for any of the other cells

which would be correct for the entry PLASTIC?

a. I dont quite understand your question. Plastic is one entry, metal is the other, so and so forth. There should be a single list of groups that belong each entry, that needs to be listed somewhere on the worksheet. The same thing goes for the other entries. The only variables are plastic metal, wire, apparel, etc. Those list that are under those are related to those, and will not alter.
I hope that I have included all the info that you guys need.

Thanks for helping a fellow newbie out.

Upvote 0
When you enter PLASTIC, should:

a] a specific weight automaticaly pop up in another cell, or

b] a drop-down list of weight choices unique to PLASTIC should be created in another cell.

Upvote 0
When you enter PLASTIC, should:

a] a specific weight automaticaly pop up in another cell, or

b] a drop-down list of weight choices unique to PLASTIC should be created in another cell.

Jon, When you select plastic, a list of data should pop up in columns of cells, that ask you about that plastic.

Kind of like a tree process, once you select the "variable" which is the only drop down option, nothing after that wil be a drop down box, other data should pop up in assigned columns, which will ask you in detail about that variable, so none of those data will changes cause they are related to that variable.

I hope this helps.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiSonic

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back