Data validation idiot guide.

jaffacakeking

Board Regular
Hi,

I remeber reading an entry on the board a couple of months ago explaining how to validate data on a worksheet.

I've got as far as Data>Validation... selecting a cell in which i would like to validate data but how do i add items to the list? I can add data to a combobox and list box if they're on a userfrom but this has foxed me!

Once this is achieved is it possible to remove the data validation leaving only the value in it's place? My macro deletes it's self and protects the sheet once a commandbutton is pressed and i don't know how validating data will affect this...

Thanks in advance for any help!

Thanks for any help.

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
On 2002-09-05 08:03, jaffacakeking wrote:
Hi,

I remeber reading an entry on the board a couple of months ago explaining how to validate data on a worksheet.

I've got as far as Data>Validation... selecting a cell in which i would like to validate data but how do i add items to the list? I can add data to a combobox and list box if they're on a userfrom but this has foxed me!

Once this is achieved is it possible to remove the data validation leaving only the value in it's place? My macro deletes it's self and protects the sheet once a commandbutton is pressed and i don't know how validating data will affect this...

Thanks in advance for any help!

Thanks for any help.

OK,

Data>Validation
Choose List
click in source
Highlight Area with list in.

As for removing validtion after selection, not without another macro.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Cheers Ian. Sorry, i was a little trigger happy with posting on the board as this was relativley simple and a little more patience would proberbley resulted in me trying this. :)

Is it possible to create a range through code rather than have (in my case) a hidden column containing my ranges of validated data. Ideally i would like to keep my workbook to a single worksheet as it is at the moment. For example, in the workbook open portion of code have a bit that places my valid data in a cell and names the range?

As an aside, with a combobox it's possible to use the change event to activate an arguement. Is it possible to do this with validated data e.g. if 'none' is selected from my valid list then A2=0. I don't know how to write this when not using userforms and objects (and this time i'm not being too trigger happy! :wink:)

Thanks again to everyone for all the great help i've recieved from this site!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rik81h

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back