Data validation indirect reference (assistance needed)

pujo

Office Version
  1. 2019
  2. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Good Afternoon all.

First let me say that I hope you can understand what I am about to ask, as I am not up on all the lingo, but I will give it my best shot.

I have a “Named Range” with the name of “Sections”.
The sections represent sections in a safety policy manual.
Section 1, Section 2, etc. Under section 1 I have a named range of the policies in section 1 “SECTION_1._GENERAL_SAFETY_PHILOSOPHY_AND_EXPECTATIONS”, using data validation, I am able to use a cascading list box for all the policies under this section. 1.1 Health and Safety Policy, 1.2 Annual review of safety manual, etc.

Is there any way for me to replace the “Underscore’s” in the first named range and replace them with a space between the words and still use indirect reference for the second data validation list box?

I know spaces aren't allowed in a named range.

Thanks,
PuJo

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Got it.

=INDIRECT(SUBSTITUTE(M65," ","_"))

Upvote 0
How did you get the second dropdown to list only items under the chosen selection in the first dropdown?

i am using forms and not data validations but i can change if i can get my second drop down to only show items related to the first dropdown

Good Afternoon all.

First let me say that I hope you can understand what I am about to ask, as I am not up on all the lingo, but I will give it my best shot.

I have a “Named Range” with the name of “Sections”.
The sections represent sections in a safety policy manual.
Section 1, Section 2, etc. Under section 1 I have a named range of the policies in section 1 “SECTION_1._GENERAL_SAFETY_PHILOSOPHY_AND_EXPECTATIONS”, using data validation, I am able to use a cascading list box for all the policies under this section. 1.1 Health and Safety Policy, 1.2 Annual review of safety manual, etc.

Is there any way for me to replace the “Underscore’s” in the first named range and replace them with a space between the words and still use indirect reference for the second data validation list box?

I know spaces aren't allowed in a named range.

Thanks,
PuJo

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattDRT

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back