Data Validation invalid data

afdmello

Board Regular
Hi Folks,
I am in a dilemma and wasted 2 hours to learn how this is possible. We have a drop down list in data validation which is taken from a defined name with abbreviations. This data validation has a " Stop" error alert. However it is still allowing the expanded name of the abbreviation to be entered. The data is invalid and is also circled by excel. The data validation drop down is W&WWT. I have attached a figure.
Hope someone knows the trick applied here.

Thanking you,

AFD

Attachments

• Data capture.JPG
    Data capture.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 8

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
If the cell in question was previously set up with Data Validation using a drop down selector tied to a list, and the list did not include the verbose description, then I would assume that someone typed the long description in another cell and then pasted it into the cell. That action overwrites the data validation for that cell, and no red circle appears around this invalid entry. I can duplicate your result, but to do so, I pasted the long text in the drop-down cell, then clicked on the cell and chose Data Validation again to reinitialize the drop-down data validation for that cell. Since the cell already had invalid data in it, when I click on Data Validation > Circle Invalid Data, a red oval appears around my entry.

Upvote 0
I recently learned the VBA code that can prevent anyone from copying and pasting to the cells which have validation list. All you do is right click on the sheet tab > view code then add in the VBA code.

Let's assume column H2 to H100 is for people to select items from your drop down list.

Below is the code:

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange (ByVal Target As a Range)
If Not Application.Intersect(Target, Range("H2:H100")) Is Nothing Then
Application.CutCopyMode = False
End If
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back