Data validation issues

paul w

Board Regular
Hi all, happy new year.

I cant seem to get my data validation to work.

In BD17 I enter my finish time after I’ve entered my job site (F17), travel (AG17) and start time (AN17), and if any of these cells are empty F17 or AG17 or AN17 then I need data validation to trigger an information message “Missing Data” , I can get it to work as a conditional format and highlight BD17, I can get it to work in a separate cell and it returns TRUE if any cells are empty and FALSE if all cells are completed. BD17 is the last cell to be completed, after the other 3

This is what I’ve tried to use for data validation and I get the message required, but only if all cells are completed (BD17) =AND(OR(F17="",AG17="",AN17=""),BD17>0)
I just cant seem to see where I'm going wrong, I've even tried nesting in an IF() and forcing a TRUE() or FALSE() but cant get it to work.
If I have to go down the conditional formatting road, is it possible to highlight or circle the cell with the missing data.

many thanks

Paul

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Try this

=AND(F17<>"",AG17<>"",AN17<>"",BD17<>"")

Ignore black = false:

1578072538517.png

Upvote 0
G17<>"",AN17<>"",BD17

Many thanks for that,
I forgot all about the ignore blanks.
just need to work out how to have it do nothing if (F17) = "lunch", "sick", "holiday", or "bank holiday" I'm assuming I can nest this in an IF() statement.

again many thanks
Paul

Upvote 0
How about:

=OR(F17="lunch",F17="sick",F17="holiday",AND(F17<>"",AG17<>"",AN17<>"",BD17<>""))

Upvote 0
How about:

=OR(F17="lunch",F17="sick",F17="holiday",AND(F17<>"",AG17<>"",AN17<>"",BD17<>""))

thanks again,
i had worked one out but yours is neater,

=IF(OR(F7="lunch",F7="sick",F7="holiday",F7="bank holiday"),TRUE,AND(F7<>"",AG7<>"",AN7<>"",BD7<>""))

paul

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back