Data validation issues

Jonywalker

I have a spreadsheet where users fill in data using drop downs using the validation feature of excel. When this data is copied and pasted, many of the data validation drop down are wrong and contain random validation rules from other fields. Example I will copy a cell that has data validation list that will say Yes, No. When I paste it, it will contain a random list of a validation list used elsewhere such as a number range. When I press clear all for the data rules, and enter the correct ones and press ok, and then go back to see if it accepted the rules, it will be another completely different random rule used in another cell. Even if I try to have no rules and clear them all, it will always randomly populate a validation rule so I can't even manually enter data without getting errors. Anyone know what is going on? I am using the latest version of excel and not the 365 version.

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
First, Microsoft 365 is the latest version of Excel. It gets regular updates with new features, typically on a monthly basis, depending on your settings. The perpetual versions, like 2021 and 2019 are static, and only get security updates, not new features.

Second, could you share what your data validation rules are? Part of your problem may relate to using relative rather than absolute references for the lists.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPav

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back