data validation list question

ekidlonius

I have been using cascading data validation lists to standardize user inputs on a form we have at work. Sometimes, the input is a custom item that is not included in the predetermined table of items that the data validation looks up. I would like to allow the user to input whatever custom item they have without receiving the pop-up: "value you entered is not valid... A user has restricted values that can be entered into this cell." Basically, I want the lists there to simplify and standardize things, but not restrict users should something different need to be entered in the cell.

Thanks for any help!!

(I am a novice with VBA & macros, but have some experience, so if you think that is the route to go please, please, include notes for each line explaining what you are doing! Thanks!!)

-Ekid

* I'm not saying I'm Batman. Just that you've never seen me & Batman in the same room together *

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
appears to me like someone has already put a limitation its just a case of removing them for the fields where you would have custom entered text.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

In the Data Validation setup, uncheck the Show Error Alert on the Error Alert tab.

HTH,

Upvote 0
I have found that I can enter anything I want in the first category, however the next cascading (dependent) category is where error displays if I try to enter something in the cell. I assume because its looking to validate based on the previously selected cell and if something different is entered the lookup "fails."

Thoughts?

Upvote 0
Smitty,

Thanks, that worked!! So simple sometimes you miss it completely. I would have spent a day before I noticed that tab.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cancansova

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back