Data Validation List to External Workbook without openining source

PocketNeo

Board Regular
Here's what I have:
In Workbook "Item Tool", I have successfully linked (by Name reference only) a data validation drop down list to another Workbook "Item Database". Both separate files of course.

From Workbook "Item Tool", the column "Brand-Model" is a data validation list of all unique records in Workbook "Item Database" in column "Brand-Model".

Here's my issue:
It seems the only way I can view the drop-down list in Workbook "Item Tool" is when the Workbook "Item Database" is open.

I'd like to use the Workbook "Item Tool" as a template and would rather not have to open the Workbook "Item Database" each time I use the tool.

How can I do this?

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Ok, as a follow-up to this thread and my contribution to this great website, I have done the following that works for my needs. Hope this helps someone with non-programming ability that has the same type of needs:

1) In my main workbook (where the data validation List with the name-reference lookup exists to the 2nd workbook), I added a macro (see below) to open the 2nd workbook (the one with the items I am looking up). Oh and I didn't I didn't add any logic to check to see if it is already open.

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
' Open the workbook from its actual folder
Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\TEST\ITEMS_DATABASE.xls"
ThisWorkbook.Activate
End Sub

2) I use my main workbook to do what I want with it (i.e. its main purpose), and upon close, I have another macro that will close the 2nd workbook if it is open.

Here's the VBA macro I used for that:

Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean)
Dim wBook As Workbook
On Error Resume Next
Set wBook = Workbooks("ITEMS_DATABASE.xls")

If wBook Is Nothing Then 'The Workbook Is Not open
' Nothing to do as workbook is not open
Set wBook = Nothing
On Error GoTo 0
Else 'Workbook is open
' Close the workbook and save any changes
Workbooks("ITEMS_DATABASE.xls").Close SaveChanges:=True
Set wBook = Nothing
On Error GoTo 0
End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Sorry, here's a better and more accurate version of what I just wrote above....

Ok, as a follow-up to this thread and my contribution to this great website, I have done the following that works for my needs. Hope this helps someone with non-programming ability that has the same type of needs:

1) In my 2nd workbook where my data exists, I created a name-reference for the range of cells that I will need for my lookup (lets call it ITEMS). In my case, its only 1 column so something like $C3:$C$25000. In the 1st workbook, where I do all my work and where the data validation List exists in a column, I created it with a name reference to the 2nd workbook and its name reference (ITEMS). So, in short, 1 workbook's data validation list name reference references another workbook name reference.

2) In my 1st workbook (where the data validation List with the name-reference lookup exists to the 2nd workbook), I added a macro (see below) to open the 2nd workbook automatically when the file is opened. Oh, and I didn't I didn't add any VBA macro logic to check to see if the 2nd workbook was already open. I know if won't open it twice anyhow.

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
' Open the workbook from its actual folder
Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\TEST\ITEMS_DATABASE.xls"
ThisWorkbook.Activate
End Sub

3) I use my 1 workbook to do what I want with it (i.e. its main purpose is to enter quotes on each item in a order), and upon its close, I have another macro in that same workbook that will auto-close the 2nd workbook "if it is open" (i.e. in this case have add a routine to see its open and if it is, close it, and if its not open, do nothing).

Here's the VBA macro I used for that:

Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean)
Dim wBook As Workbook
On Error Resume Next
Set wBook = Workbooks("ITEMS_DATABASE.xls")

If wBook Is Nothing Then 'The Workbook Is Not open
' Nothing to do as workbook is not open
Set wBook = Nothing
On Error GoTo 0
Else 'Workbook is open
' Close the workbook and save any changes
Workbooks("ITEMS_DATABASE.xls").Close SaveChanges:=True
Set wBook = Nothing
On Error GoTo 0
End If
End Sub

Hope this helps someone....cheers!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back