Data Validation list with unique values (drop down menu)

0123ren

I have a column of numbers which contains numerous repeated entries and blank cells. The list is free to expand as people can continually add to the list. The list can only expand to a finite number of rows, say 150.

Is it possible to use a bit of VB code to extract only unique entries and non-blanks from this list and copy it to another area so that this "new_list" can be named and used as data validation for a drop down menu.

I would like it to be automated so the length of the new_list created is recognised by the data validation so that there are not numerous blanks at the bottom of the drop-down menu as may be the case if numerous duplicate entries and blanks are removed.

I would be extremely greatful for any assistance.

PS I have looked at many related threads and although many solutions closely approach the one I require there are no direct matches. I am not a seasoned professional when it comes to excel so if I have failed to explain my situation using the correct terminology then please feel free to ask for further explanation.

Thanks in advance for any assistance offered!!

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
I suppose a little example of what I require would be helpful.

A1

Drop down menu in a cell on another sheet would display.

in other words only the 4 unique numbers without any blanks at the bottom.

Again, thanks in advance, I hope this example is clear enough.

Upvote 0
What might be useful? Found this post looking for the same answer but there isn't any answer to look at... I know this is an old post but, shouldn't the answer provided to the original poster still be available for others to use too?

Upvote 0
What might be useful? Found this post looking for the same answer but there isn't any answer to look at... I know this is an old post but, shouldn't the answer provided to the original poster still be available for others to use too?

Either register with the site in order to get the file or post a small sample here along with the results that you want to obtain.

Upvote 0
I am registered on the mrexcel forum....

Do you see anything at all in Krishna's first post other than a reference to something that might help? There is no URL or file attachment...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back