Data validation list without range reference

RandomizerTX

Hello everyone:

Column A contains numeric values. I need Cells in Column B to have a dropdown validation lists that allow selection of the positive or negative of the value in the adjacent Cell in Column A. So for example, if $A$1 contains 445, then the dropdown list for $B$1 should offer the options of 445 and -445.

Can I generate these pairs of choices without VBA and without having to store the two values elsewhere in the worksheet?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Hello,

If A1=445 then in B1, select DATA, VALIDATION, in Settings, select Custom and in the Formula, enter the following:

=OR(B1=A1,B1=A1*-1)

Upvote 0
I need Cells in Column B to have a dropdown ....

Can I generate these pairs of choices without VBA and without having to store the two values elsewhere in the worksheet?
Hope I am proved wrong, but I don't think so.

onlyadrafter's suggestion will allow the correct DV, but not provide a drop-down list. Similarly a custom formula of =ABS(B1)=ABS(A1) would do the same.

Upvote 0
Hope I am proved wrong, but I don't think so.

onlyadrafter's suggestion will allow the correct DV, but not provide a drop-down list. Similarly a custom formula of =ABS(B1)=ABS(A1) would do the same.

Thanks to both of you. I need a dropdown list, because the two choices I need to see in Column B will actually refer to another worksheet.

Upvote 0
Then I think you are going to need to generate the two numbers somewhere in your workbook by formulas or use vba.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spamiki

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back