Data validation - pasted input won't auto-fill validation list item

bipolarbear

I am doing some conditional data validation and I have a huge chuck of data that I am pasting into the spreadsheet and I'm wondering if there is a way to make the pasted data auto-fill with the validated items?

I have two columns with data validation (keyword, description) where description is dependent on the value of the keyword. This all works fine and is setup properly. The problem occurs when I paste values into the spreadsheet (the data validation is still there), but a keyword that exactly matches an item in the validated list does not "auto-select" from the dropdown, which makes my second column not populate with the appropriate description options. Does that make sense?

For example, if I select the Keyword "Door" in column one, I get a Description dropdown with the options "Open" or "Closed". However, if I paste the word "Door" into the keyword cell, it does not register as validated data.

Another note (based on previous example), if I select "Door" and had "Closed" pasted into the second column, it does pick it from the list automatically.

Sorry if this is a confusing example, but I have a lot of pre-entered data, that I don't won't to go through each row and reselect the item from the list for each. Is there any code I can write to expedite this process?

Any input is appreciated! Feel free to ask questions if any of that doesn't make sense...

Thanks,

Rob

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juggernaut24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back