Data validation to accept a list and a number

JoeSw

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone knew whether it was possible to create a data validation rule that allows you to select from a list (text options) OR allows you to enter a number.

Thanks!

Joe

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
You could turn off the Error Alert for the validation list and it would allow you to enter a number, but it would also allow you to enter anything else.

We could create a VBA trigger that would check the cell contents. It could check your list and see if the item exists there, then it could check to see if the value is a number.

Upvote 0
You could turn off the Error Alert for the validation list and it would allow you to enter a number, but it would also allow you to enter anything else.

We could create a VBA trigger that would check the cell contents. It could check your list and see if the item exists there, then it could check to see if the value is a number.
Thanks for answering Jeffrey.

Yes, I'm trying to reduce the amount of erroneous entries into a column so there's hopefully fewer mistakes made so getting rid of the error alert might be a bit of a risk. But a possible suggestion.

I had thought about writing something in VBA but the only problem is the spreadsheet is quite large, on sharepoint and accessed by multiple people at the same time so I'd be a bit worried about using that.

Joe

Upvote 0
Other alternatives. If you make a custom formula in a Data Validation, you can test for multiple criteria, but you won't have a list to choose from.
=OR(COUNTIF(List1,J18)>0,ISNUMBER(J18))

Here's a fun one: Add a formula to the bottom of your list and make sure the Data Validation includes that new cell. Make the formula like this.
=IF(ISNUMBER(J18),J18,"#NA")
Where J18 is the cell with the Data Validation. Now you can choose from a list and enter any number

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moonlight6

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back