Data validation to disallow blank entry when using drop down list

mhessnm

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I can't believe nobody has asked this question before but I've looked through past posts on this topic and have scoured Google and cannot find an answer.

I have data validation on a cell that uses a range on another sheet to populate the drop-down list. All I want to do is make it impossible for users to leave the cell blank. I want them to choose one of the items on the list or, if the cell is blank, get the data validation message.

I have looked at making it a custom data validation with a formula, but then I lose the drop down list. But it won't accept any formula when I use the "list" option in data validation.

I was hoping for a non-macro way and thought this would be pretty straightforward, and it may be, but I'm not seeing it. Any help will be appreciated!

Michael Hess

Hi Akuini, thanks for the code, I'll try it out this week! I'll report back.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Hey Akuini, I was able to modify your code to work in my workbook. Thank you so much!

I have a question if you would be willing to indulge me. I understand what these lines do, but I'm not quite sure how they do it. Can you step through them for me?

[FONT=&quot] For Each z In c
If Len(z) = 0 Then tx = tx & "," & z.Address(0, 0)
Next

MsgBox "You need to fill in cells: " & Right(tx, Len(tx) - 1)
Cancel = True[/FONT]

Upvote 0
Ok, here:

Code:
[FONT=lucida console][COLOR=Royalblue]Private[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Sub[/COLOR] Workbook_BeforeSave([COLOR=Royalblue]ByVal[/COLOR] SaveAsUI [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Boolean[/COLOR], Cancel [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Boolean[/COLOR])
[COLOR=Royalblue]Dim[/COLOR] c [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] Range, z [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] Range, tx [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]String[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Royalblue]Set[/COLOR] c = Sheets([COLOR=brown]"Sheet1"[/COLOR]).Range([COLOR=brown]"A1:A5,C2:C4,E1"[/COLOR])
    [COLOR=Royalblue]If[/COLOR] WorksheetFunction.CountA(c) = [COLOR=crimson]0[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Then[/COLOR]
    [I][COLOR=seagreen]'do nothing[/COLOR][/I]
    [COLOR=Royalblue]ElseIf[/COLOR] c.Cells.Count <> WorksheetFunction.CountA(c) [COLOR=Royalblue]Then[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Royalblue]For[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Each[/COLOR] z [COLOR=Royalblue]In[/COLOR] c [I][COLOR=seagreen]'loop through each cell in c[/COLOR][/I]

[I][COLOR=seagreen]'If Len(z) = 0  - means if the cell is empty. If a cell is empty then the length is 0[/COLOR][/I]
            [I][COLOR=seagreen]'tx = tx & "," & z.Address(0, 0) - populating the empty cells address to tx, each separated by comma[/COLOR][/I]
            [COLOR=Royalblue]If[/COLOR] Len(z) = [COLOR=crimson]0[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Then[/COLOR] tx = tx & [COLOR=brown]","[/COLOR] & z.Address([COLOR=crimson]0[/COLOR], [COLOR=crimson]0[/COLOR])
        [COLOR=Royalblue]Next[/COLOR]

[I][COLOR=seagreen]'Right(tx, Len(tx) - 1) - remove the first character in tx, which is a comma[/COLOR][/I]
        MsgBox [COLOR=brown]"You need to fill in cells: "[/COLOR] & Right(tx, Len(tx) - [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR])

Cancel = [COLOR=Royalblue]True[/COLOR]  [I][COLOR=seagreen]' cancelling saving process[/COLOR][/I]

[COLOR=Royalblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]If[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Royalblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Sub[/COLOR][/FONT]

Upvote 0
Thank you! I think I was confused by the z.Address(0,0). I appreciate your help and your explanation - thank you!

Upvote 0
z.Address(0,0) - means you get the address without the $ sign, like A1 not $A$1
So does the code work according to your needs?

Upvote 0
Hi Akuini, yes, it works great! Thank you for the code - I am implementing it today for our staff. You were really helpful, and I appreciate your time and guidance on this!

Upvote 0
You're welcome, glad to help, & thanks for the feedback.:)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back