Data Validation Warning message based on multiple criteria

Browneh89

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I am attempting to created a formula within data validation to produce a information message if two adjacent cells meet the correct criteria..

in a standard IF formula it would look like this

=IF(AND(LEN(B4)>8,J4="Done"),"WARNING","NO WARNING")

but I can't get this to trigger an information message box with custom criteria

I'm using the below in data validation

=AND(LEN(B4)>9,J4="Done")

Can anyone help me with this? been banging my head against a wall for a while now!

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Assuming you are setting the same data validation for B4 and J4 cells.
Try this:

Excel Formula:
=NOT(AND(LEN($B$4)>9,$J$4="Done"))

Two points:
  1. You need NOT() function because the validation passes when the formula returns TRUE. According to your sample formula, you want to see the WARNING when the result is TRUE. So you need to use NOT() to make it opposite for the data validation.
  2. If you set the data validation at the same time by selecting two cells, then I believe you also need to use absolute references, $B$4 and $J$4.

Upvote 0
Assuming you are setting the same data validation for B4 and J4 cells.
Try this:

Excel Formula:
=NOT(AND(LEN($B$4)>9,$J$4="Done"))

Two points:
  1. You need NOT() function because the validation passes when the formula returns TRUE. According to your sample formula, you want to see the WARNING when the result is TRUE. So you need to use NOT() to make it opposite for the data validation.
  2. If you set the data validation at the same time by selecting two cells, then I believe you also need to use absolute references, $B$4 and $J$4.
Based on this formula =IF(AND(LEN(B4)>8,J4="Done"),"WARNING","NO WARNING"), even if you put NOT it will not meet the condition.
The formula will give WARNING if both condition met but by putting NOT, the supposed to be WARNING will become NO WARNING.

Need to modify to this =OR(LEN(B4)<9,J4<>"Done") in Validation formula only to work, surprisingly ?

Upvote 0
Solution
Based on this formula =IF(AND(LEN(B4)>8,J4="Done"),"WARNING","NO WARNING"), even if you put NOT it will not meet the condition.
The formula will give WARNING if both condition met but by putting NOT, the supposed to be WARNING will become NO WARNING.

Need to modify to this =OR(LEN(B4)<9,J4<>"Done") in Validation formula only to work, surprisingly ?
Thank you very much that formula worked perfectly for what I needed!

You have no idea how much I was racking my brain with this one.. I didn't think to write it using an OR or in this format at all.

Upvote 0

You have no idea how much I was racking my brain with this one.. I didn't think to write it using an OR or in this format at all.
It's the first time I use formula and almost banged my head too ?

Upvote 0

Glad to hear you got the solution, @Browneh89. That would be great if you could mark @Zot's post as the solution, so the future visitors would know this question has an answer.

Actually, the two formulas are exactly the same and return the following results with the corresponding boolean variables as they are supposed to do.
OR vs NOT/AND
ABCD
1OR VERSIONOR RESULTNOT/AND VERSIONNOT/AND RESULT
2OR(TRUE, TRUE) TRUENOT(AND(FALSE, FALSE))TRUE
3OR(TRUE, FALSE) TRUENOT(AND(FALSE, TRUE))TRUE
4OR(FALSE, TRUE) TRUENOT(AND(TRUE, FALSE))TRUE
5OR(FALSE, FALSE) FALSENOT(AND(TRUE, TRUE))FALSE
Sheet1

I prefer your formula since it is shorter. What makes things a bit complicated in this particular question is the nature of how Data Validation works.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbind kumar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back