Data Validation - Why does it not work when pasting values?

John P

Board Regular
I have a workbook with data validation per a list of contact names. I set the cell properties so the formula's are hidden and protected the sheet. The user can paste into the cell and the validation remains in place for the cell, but it does not validate the pasted values. Any ideas?

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
Re: Data Validation - Why does it not work when pasting valu

Unfortunately, that's the way it is. Paste Special preserves the Validation, but doesn't check the entry. Paste removes the Validation.

Upvote 0

John P said:
I have a workbook with data validation per a list of contact names. I set the cell properties so the formula's are hidden and protected the sheet. The user can paste into the cell and the validation remains in place for the cell, but it does not validate the pasted values. Any ideas?

Did you try the link Iridium posted in a similar question you asked?

http://216.92.17.166/board2/viewtopic.php?t=67006&highlight=data+validation

Upvote 0

Yes. The code in the link did not work because it disallowed the pasting of values in the range that had data validation. Our users require the best of both worlds...validation to let them know when they make mistakes and the ability to paste values and have them validated. I tried to talk them into a database to capture this information because then I could have the validation while allowing pasted values, but it was not a winning proposal.

Upvote 0

The only way your users can have the best of both worlds is to emulate Data Validation in the Worksheet_Change event procedure.

Upvote 0

Summing up the discussion so far, either you need to make sure that only Paste-Special-Values will be used, OR you can put references to a separate paste area and validate the referring cells.

OK that's one part of the problem solved; but one would ideally like to use Excel to set up the validation rules, and use VBA as sparingly as possible. So...

Let's define a name, "ValRange", that points to the cells that need to be validated. Then...

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim c As Range
Debug.Print Target.Address
valid = True

For Each c In Range("ValRange").Cells
valid = valid And c.Validation.Value
Next c

Debug.Print valid

If Not valid Then
MsgBox "At least one cell is not valid"
Application.Undo
Else
End If
Application.CutCopyMode = False
End Sub

Upvote 0

The only way your users can have the best of both worlds is to emulate Data Validation in the Worksheet_Change event procedure.

I'd recommend Protecting your worksheet or workbook to solve the problem with pasting wiping out your validation. Just nerf the protection so your users have as many rights as they need (in the Protect Sheet dialog under "allow all users of this worksheet to"). I enabled anonymous users all rights except "Insert hyperlinks" and now when the sheet is protected I can paste all over without affecting any of the validations :)

So... with that tip... what do you MVPs suggest to solve the other problem -- the fact that Excel doesn't validate pasted data? Should I use Swamp Thing's VBA?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ksonnia

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back