Data Validation with optional user input

CHIPS4CAM

I am trying to create a formula which will return "N/A" if a condition is true, and allow the user to input one of 2 variables if a condition is false (ie: if cell A6 is $0.00, then cell B6 should automatically be "N/A", but if A6 > $0, then I want the user to enter a variable of either "B" or "O" to show who the $ were paid to). I am stuck!

Thanks,
Cam

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result

colbymack

Do you want the user to enter the B or O in the same cell where you are displaying the N/A?

If so, you could do something like this in B6:
=IF(A6=0,"N/A","ENTER B OR O")

This will indicated the cells that are to be updated by the user vs the ones that are N/A.

HTH

CHIPS4CAM

Thanks, but what I am really trying to do is to limit the possible entries to "N/A", "B', or "O" with the formula for B6 of (=IF(A6=0,"N/A".........but then if it is not, I want the user to enter either "O" or "B" without the "O" or "B" erasing the formula in case the user has to change A6 later. I have placed the instructions to the user under the DATA VALIDATION section so it tells the user what to enter, but I am trying to make the N/A automatic. Maybe my user enter is not compatible with the N/A formula.

Cam

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daibear