Data Validation

jayd77

Is it possible to do something like this (="*"&EmpListThur&"*") in a data validation. Currently it's not working.

EmpListThur is a list of all employees who can work Thursday.

EmpListThur has null values or blank cells so I can type anything into the schedule whether it is on the list or not. This is to my advantage because on some days a driver comes in early (ex: Smith in @6am ) and I can just put it right on the schedule with his name. However, this means that the person doing the schedule could type the employees name wrong(ex:Smit in @6am) and then the calculated hours for that employee would be off.

So if the name is not in the list, the user of the workbook can type in another name, but that name has to be correct.

You want to check if the name is in the Thursdaylist, if it isn't it has to be in a "general list" of all users.

Is that correct?

kind regards,
Erik

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Not exactly, The employee's name entered in the Thursday column of the schedule must be in EmpListThur. I am trying to get Excel to verify this but still let me type values around the employees name that are not in the cell
So, if I type ,6am Smith, Excel will check to see if Smith is in EmpListThur which is why I am trying to type ="*"&EmpListThur&"*" into the Data Validation

I think the solution is going to come by using some VB code. If you right click on the sheet tab and click view code you can add code. I have seen VB code that modifies the drop down list to make it wider and appear to have larger font.

Upvote 0
Jayd,

Sorry it's not clear to me.

If it has to be in the list use validation as I said in the beginning. That works fine.
If this list contains blanks the validation is not a good check. Then it has no sense to put validation.

Sometimes people have difficulties to get at the same "frequency", to understand each other. I can't understand what you mean.
A clear example on sheet would help.

I hope others can look here too :coffee:

kind regards,
Erik

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leon Leenders

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back