Data Validation

jayd77

Is it possible to do something like this (="*"&EmpListThur&"*") in a data validation. Currently it's not working.

EmpListThur is a list of all employees who can work Thursday.

EmpListThur has null values or blank cells so I can type anything into the schedule whether it is on the list or not. This is to my advantage because on some days a driver comes in early (ex: Smith in @6am ) and I can just put it right on the schedule with his name. However, this means that the person doing the schedule could type the employees name wrong(ex:Smit in @6am) and then the calculated hours for that employee would be off.

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Hi, Jayd77,

Choose "list" in the validationbox and type
=EmpListThur in the sourcebox

kind regards,
Erik

Upvote 0
I don't understand what you want the validation to show. What should the asterisks add to the validation?

Upvote 0
What exactlyis EmpListThur?

Is it a named range?

What exactly are you trying to do?

Upvote 0
Sorry I edited the message as soon as I posted it realizing I left out some information

EmpListThur is column of employee names about 70 rows

Upvote 0
jayd77,

What's the problem?
You asked a question, you recieved response. I think my solution can do what you wanted, but perhaps it was a misunderstanding.
Did you try it? What do you need more?

kind regards,
Erik

Upvote 0
Like I say, I edited the question as soon as I posted it. The responses I got did not solve the problem. Please reread the complete question.

Upvote 0
Thurs Fri Sat
shift 1 Smith Jones Lee
shift 2 6am Jones Lee Smith
shift 3 Lee Smith 6am Jones

employee list -different for each day of the week depending on who can work a particular day. Blank fields= employees who are off

Smith
Jones

Lee

Arnold

=EmpListThur allows me to enter any value into a cell whether it is in the
list or not because the blank fields are the result of an if statement "". If I alter the IF statement to make the fields have some arbitrary value "-" then the values I enter have to be within the list. Out of some 200 shifts only 4 or 5 employees need to come in early. If I leave the IF statement returning a value of "" for employees who are off I can then schedule an employee in early directly on the main schedule. There are many other ways I can handle this problem but, if I can figure out the proper data validation it would save a lot of hassle.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aivin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back