data validation

romskog

I have a spreadsheet where I have a frozen pane (rows 1:15). This information I want to have on the screen all the time as I scroll down through the rest of the spread. My question is this...why can't I put a validation for a cell in row 8 (or any within this frozen area)? I can put formulas that reference both cells within and outside of the frozen area, and they work fine. You folks have been very helpful in the past...look forward to your answer to this one!

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Romskog
I'm not sure why Excel won't let you put a validation for a cell in row 8 (or any within this frozen area) but I suspect it thinks that you want those rows frozen as they will be used as titles for the rest of the sheet rather than as a separated work area.
I think your answer may be to use a Split screen (Window / Split)rather than Frozen panes as then both top & bottom "panes" are "active".

HTH
BigC

Upvote 0
G'day,

Not having 97, I am unable to duplicate the problem to test this solution but....

Does it work if you remove the freeze panes, add the validation and then put the freeze panes back on?

Regards,

DBA

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nonnakkong

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back