Data Validation

imported_unknown

I'm using list data validation against named ranges in a separate worksheet within the same workbook file. What I'd really like to do is keep the validation tables in a separate workbook file. MS says you can't do this, but does anybody have a workaround?

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
You could write your own code to validate. The Worksheet_Change event is where you would start.

Worksheet_Change fires every time you do a paste. Since the Target argument is Range, your code should be prepared to handle an array, since that is what a block of cells is perceived as.

Also, merged cells in Excel 97 are percieved as array, also. You can get around this by using Target(1,1), instead of just Target

Chances are those details aren't going to sabotage any attempts to write your own validation code. They may slow you down, but they shouldn't stop you.

Upvote 0
On 2002-09-29 15:27, ebstarkey wrote:
I'm using list data validation against named ranges in a separate worksheet within the same workbook file. What I'd really like to do is keep the validation tables in a separate workbook file. MS says you can't do this, but does anybody have a workaround?

Hi ebstarkey:

Welcome to the Board!

In addition to the VBA solution proposed by stevebausch, you can also use the following non-vba DataValidation approach ...

You can use a list based in another workbook for Data Validation ... provided

1. You create a range name reference for the list e.g. in Data Validation dialog box, the list would read as

=[y020929a.xls]sheet1!MynameList

2. the workbook with list is open

I hope this helps.

Regards!

Yogi

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocbudda

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back