Data verticalization - code optmization

Coffeeboo

Hi,

I've written below code to help transpose data tables according to attached picture, mainly because I love PTs and they are much more powerful when using only one column for data.
However, I'm pretty sure the code is suboptimal, mainly because I transcribed what I'd do manually instead of thinking of a more elegant solution.

How would you do it?

Best

Capture57.PNG

VBA Code:
Sub Verticalize_data()
Dim i As Integer, j As Integer, k As Integer, n As Integer
Dim rowmovefirst As Integer, rowmovelast As Integer, colcopyfirst As Integer, colcopynb As Integer, rowheaders As Integer, colvalheader As Integer

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

If MsgBox("This macro will run on the active worksheet, are you willing to continue?", 4) <> 6 Then Exit Sub
If MsgBox("Please make sure you allocated one blank column to receive the verticalized header value", 1) <> 1 Then Exit Sub

colvalheader = InputBox("Please give the rank/number of said column, eg 3 for col C", "Which column is that?")
rowheaders = InputBox("Please give the rank/number of said row", "Which row contains headers for the data?")
rowmovefirst = InputBox("Please give the rank/number of said row", "Which is the first row of the data table to modify?")
rowmovelast = InputBox("Please give the rank/number of said row", "Which is the last row of the data table to modify?")
colcopyfirst = InputBox("Please give the rank/number of said column, eg 3 for col C", "Which is the first column containing data to verticalize?")
colcopynb = InputBox("Please give the number of data columns we're turning into data lines", "How many columns are we copying in a single one")

For i = rowmovelast To rowmovefirst Step -1

For j = 0 To colcopynb - 2 Step 1
    ActiveSheet.Rows(i + 1).Insert
    Next j

For k = 0 To colcopynb - 1 Step 1
    Cells(i + k, colvalheader).Value = Cells(rowheaders, colcopyfirst + k).Value
    Cells(i + k, colcopyfirst).Value = Cells(i, colcopyfirst + k).Value
        For n = 1 To colvalheader - 1 Step 1
        Cells(i + k, n).Value = Cells(i, n).Value
        Next n
    Next k
Next i

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
I think your code has an error in it: is this line correct?
VBA Code:
    Cells(i + k, colcopyfirst).Value = Cells(i, colcopyfirst + k).Value
You appear to be writing into the column you describe as "Which is the first column containing data to verticalize?")
Also you appear to be adding a row index "i" to a column index "k" is this correct??
It should be possible to make your code much more efficient by using variant arrays, but I can't do it I don't know what you are trying to do

Upvote 0
Imagine you have 12 columns with numbers, one for each month, and the headers contain the month name
I want to turn that into a to columns table, one with the month, one with the data.
Once I've pasted February-Dec below Jan, instead of beside(that's the code just above), the line you mention will Copy & Paste the relevant value (1+5 for June, 6th Column) in the relevant Row (5 below Jan).
that line is the key of the transposition, and yes, it works perfectly (that I should have mentionned)
I'm just looking for more elegant/efficient solution, the base problem is solved.

Upvote 0
This code does what you are asking, it uses varaint arrays so it will be super fast:
VBA Code:
Sub Verticalize_data()
Dim i As Integer, j As Integer, k As Integer, n As Integer
Dim rowmovefirst As Integer, rowmovelast As Integer, colcopyfirst As Integer, colcopynb As Integer, rowheaders As Integer, colvalheader As Integer
Dim outarr() As Variant

If MsgBox("This macro will run on the active worksheet, are you willing to continue?", 4) <> 6 Then Exit Sub
If MsgBox("Please make sure you allocated one blank column to receive the verticalized header value", 1) <> 1 Then Exit Sub

colvalheader = InputBox("Please give the rank/number of said column, eg 3 for col C", "Which column is that?")
rowheaders = InputBox("Please give the rank/number of said row", "Which row contains headers for the data?")
rowmovefirst = InputBox("Please give the rank/number of said row", "Which is the first row of the data table to modify?")
rowmovelast = InputBox("Please give the rank/number of said row", "Which is the last row of the data table to modify?")
colcopyfirst = InputBox("Please give the rank/number of said column, eg 3 for col C", "Which is the first column containing data to verticalize?")
colcopynb = InputBox("Please give the number of data columns we're turning into data lines", "How many columns are we copying in a single one")

hdrs = Range(Cells(rowheaders, colcopyfirst), Cells(rowheaders, colcopyfirst + colcopynb))
datar = Range(Cells(rowmovefirst, colcopyfirst), Cells(rowmovelast, colcopyfirst + colcopynb))
ReDim outarr(1 To UBound(datar, 1) * (1 + colcopynb), 1 To 2)
indi = 1
For i = 1 To UBound(hdrs, 2)
 For j = 1 To UBound(datar, 1)
  outarr(indi, 1) = hdrs(1, i)
  outarr(indi, 2) = datar(j, i)
  indi = indi + 1
 Next j
Next i

Range(Cells(1, colvalheader), Cells(indi - 1, colvalheader + 1)) = outarr

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back