Database Comparison Assistance Needed URGENT

bacm123

I'm a summer intern with the Department of Energy and have been tasked with comparing the "baselines" of two different databases to see how well they match up. I have exported both into excel, the problem is there isn't really a universal indicator that I could use to compare the two. Even the dates listed for the same "baselines" don't match up. The best way that I can see is to use the "baseline" description. But they don't match up exactly either. Would there be anyway (whether it be a macro, program, etc.) that could help me compare the two databases and find how many matches there are, searching for general matches (i.e. one description may say "Remedy for OU-1" and the other "Operational Unit 1 Remedy")? If someone is able to take the time to help, I would really appreciate it. Anything that could lead me in the right direction would be great. I am also willing to send some examples and correspond via email. Thanks.

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
I suggest that you start by making a pivot table of each dataset. That will at least summarise what is there.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back