database for alumni group

pile-it Mark

Board Regular
I was asked to create a database for a High school band group. No, I don't do this for a living, i am not that skilled, the name says it all. I initially thought it would be an easy task. just use excell. i have a maintenance tracking program i thought i would modify the data entry page and then the interested parties could type away.

but since there will be over 40 years of names. figure 25 new kids a year, we are talking around 500 sets of information. about 90 columns wide. that would need to be able to searched by many variables. and then mail merged.

My initial idea that this is easy, has turned into the question " is this the right tool for the job?" i only know Excel and a little Word. should i learn something else?
i started a form. but now am stuck.

Thanks,

Mark

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
I use the Form View in excel. 2007 doesn't have that button on the ribbon; but you can put it on the Quick Menu by going to the Window button and Excel Options.

With that data form view, you can search on ANY criteria from ANY column! Maybe that would work for you.

Beth

Upvote 0
I am so-so. I do my own programming in VBA; but since joining here, I am finding so very much that I just didn't know!!

There are real experts here though that help everyone work things out.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kjurney

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back