Database Locked

SylPearson

Board Regular
I am not sure what I did, but I can't make changes on my database. I can add tables, but can't remove them. I can add queries, but can't link the fields together.

I really need help solving this ASAP.

Thanks in advance... I will be waiting for a kind reply.

~Sylvia :pray:

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Is there any security on the database?
What is the exact error you are getting?

Do you know of anything that changed (i.e. moving the database to a different drive/folder/computer, logging onto the computer with a different username/password)?

Upvote 0
If Access had a crash, or if it is a shared database, you may have a locking problem as a result. What happens is that Access creates a .ldb file when a database is opened. This locks the objects and prevents changes to them. You can delete the .ldb if it's not in use, and this should free up the database for you. If you need more info, please post back

Denis

Upvote 0
Well, It looks like it is not limited to this one database. I tried to open other known good databases and found that I can not copy, cut, or paste anything from them. So it must be something that I did in the past hour that somehow turned the Eidt Menu off.

Would you know how to turn it back on??

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Sylvia,

I had a bit of a dig around and can't figure out what happened. I know you can turn menu items on and off in code, but I'm not aware of any way you could do that otherwise. It's apparently an application-level problem if it affects other DBs too but Microsoft KB has nothing of use that I could find.

Sorry -- hope you sort it out

Denis

Upvote 0
In the database it is possible to lock cells so that they cant be modified. i cant exactly remember how but you dont need to code it, its like an option. either that or if your right click on the database file and go to properties. make sure that it is not a read only file. becuase if u dont know what happened someone might just be playing a prank on you and turned to read only. or if you have recently moved the file it may have changed it to read only. if it is read only, archive it so your can modify. also your access to the computer may have been downgraded or something and the administration has removed your create, modify, delete options to stop users getting into things that they shouldn't be.
hopefully this helps.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moonlight6

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back