Database Splitting and Relinking excel linked tables

Kemidan2014

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I apologize in advance if this question is not appropriate for this forum, but running internet search and youtube videos for Splitting a database \ encrypting \ relinking didnt touch on topics related to Excel linked files.

I have been building this database off to the side using COPIES of original excel files that we use as a base to feed the main data table. if i split my database will i be able to change the source location of the excel linked file to the actual file we want to pull data from? should i be doing this before splitting? i have thankfully made back up copy of my database in case i screw this up.

After i encrypt the front end, (which i saw that tables can still be written to by opening the link to them) if i add protection to the tables so they can not edit the tables themselves will the forms still be able to write data to the tables?

call me having pre-showtime jitters =)

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
If you split the db, the links for linked Excel sheets will still work. Not sure which tables you're referring to re adding protection. If it's the Excel sheets, they haven't been able to be edited from within Access for many years (at least not easily).
If this
if i add protection to the tables so they can not edit the tables themselves will the forms still be able to write data to the tables?
refers to Access tables, then the usual approach is to not allow users access to tables nor anything else that would permit them to look at code or object design. Perhaps review Access security topic at this link Access Articles - Mendip Data Systems

Why don't you just copy the db, split it and test your Excel sheet connectivity and behaviours if you're not sure?
FYI, best practice is to link to sheets and put their data into normalized tables because of a)potential data type issues and b) the fact that spreadsheets are seldom good candidates for databases. Many Excel users fall into the trap of building db tables as if they were spreadsheets, which only leads to all sorts of problems. If you have not studied db normalization I suggest you do so.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back