Date calculation based on interval

debenay

Hello all! I am far from an excel expert so I really need your help if possible. For work, I am trying to create a spreadsheet that's simple for our mechs to use. I'm lost as to if or how I can get the hours/date next due to auto calculate based on the PM interval type they choose from the drop down box and the date completed. So, if the mechs choose the 30 day interval and type in the date they completed it, how can I get the hours next due to reflect 30 days from that date?

And I need that to change for every interval they choose, so 90, 120, 360 days as well as hours (100, 200, 500 hours) etc.

Thank you for any help or suggestions :confused::biggrin:

EquipmentPM Interval TypeDate CompletedInterval CompletedDate/Hours Next Due
Air Compressor30 day (this will be a drop down box with various intervals to chose from; 30, 60,90 day 100, 200 hours etc)8/14/18:confused:

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Hello,

If in your cell B2 ... you are adding a drop down (data validation) with all your possible numbers : 30, 60, 90, 100, 200, etc ...

and if you do have a date such as 8/14/18 in cell C2 .... you can have in cell E2 the following formula :

Code:
=C2+B2

Then you only need to format your cell E2 as a date ...

Hope this will help

Upvote 0
Wow that really was pretty simple haha My only question is IF my boss says I need to keep the "day" or "hour" description in the drop down, is there a way to calculate it with that? Also, if a date isn't entered into Column C, how do I prevent 1/0/1900 from populating in the Date/hours next due cells?

Upvote 0
Glad you are heading in the right direction ...

To account for your remarks, you could use the following formula :

Code:
=IF(C2,IF(RIGHT(A2,4)="days",VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(A2," days","")),A2)+C2,"")

HTH

Upvote 0
James 006, thank you! Is there ANY way that excel would know if the PM is an hour or date interval without us having a separate column for them or putting in individual formulas for each piece of equipment?

My boss would like the guys and gals to be able to just put the info in or add equipment without them worrying about formulas...something that can just be copied and applied regardless if it's hours or days?

I hope that made sense haha

EquipmentPM IntervalCurrent Hours/MileageDate CompletedDate/Hours Next Due
Air Compressor30 Day8/2/18=B2+D2 (minus day text)
Golf Cart250 Mile450 6/2/18=C2+250

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Hi,

Everything hinges on your definition of your PM Interval ... :wink:

Do you have a complete list of all your items ...???

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelError

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back