Date calculation - how do I not add weekends???

claytm00

Hi,

I have a spreadsheet where dates are put in then another cell then references the cell and then adds a predefined value.

For example - If A1 = 16-Oct and the value to add is 7 then this would return 23-Oct.

However, how can I then set up a formula that for when the value to add equals a Saturday or Sunday, that it rounds it up to the nearest Monday?

So my example would be - If A1 = 17-Oct and the value to add is 5 days then I don't want 22-Oct as this would be a Sunday but would want Mon 23-Oct?

Thanks

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
use the workday function, which requires you to turn-on the Analysis Toolpak add-in. This is a part of Excel that doesn't automatically turn-on. Go to the Tools - Add-ins - Click Analysis Toolpak. No special security to add this in. If you need to consider your work holidays, add them to your workbook.

=WORKDAY(A1,7)

Upvote 0
Hi thanks - I cannot seem to get this to work.

My example =

A1 = 20-Oct
Leadtime = 2 days

I want to add 2 days to 20-Oct but where (and in this case) the answer is either a Saturday or Sunday, I want this to round up to a Monday.

I've tried the advice but my answer is 31-Oct

Upvote 0
Very sorry - I spoke too soon!!!

This formula works however - see my example below....

A1 = 16-Oct
Leadtime is 7 days.

In this case, the 7 days will result in 23-Oct so this answer will not fall on a Sat or Sun. For this example, I don't want the formula to ignore Sat and Sun in the 7 day count.

When I use the formula for the above example, my answer is 25-Oct so this is ignoring the Sat and Sun but still adding 7 days.

Is there a way where I specify that if the answer of the above falls on a Saturday or Sunday that it rounds it up to the next 'Workday'?

Apologies if this is confusing

Upvote 0
I'm having the exact same issue as you...and I think I found a fix.

Perhaps one of the experts here can look at my formula and see if there's a flaw I'm not yet finding.

This will check to see if the result is a saturday or sunday and if it is, add another business day. If the result falls on a holiday, it will add a business day there as well.

HEre's my formula, using a table with holidays in it defined as "holidays".

My original date is in cell A4 and i'm adding 4 to it...

=IF(OR(WEEKDAY(A4+4)=1,WEEKDAY(A4+4)=7,IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A4+4,Holidays,0)),1,0)),WORKDAY(A4+4,1,Holidays),A4+4)

What do ya'll think?

Upvote 0
Book1
ABCD
11lead days7Lead due date
12date10/18/200610/25/2006
Sheet1

formula:
Code:
=IF(WEEKDAY(B12+B11)=1,B12+1,IF(WEEKDAY(B12+B11)=7,B12+3,B12+B11))

Upvote 0
Code:
whoops saw a flaw
=IF(WEEKDAY(B12+B11)=1,B12+B11+1,IF(WEEKDAY(B12+B11)=7,B12+B11+2,B12+B11))

Upvote 0
Thank you - when I typed it in, I didn't get the correct result - I went back to here to see if you had posted an update and you had!!!

Phew - Thanks this is great

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b1step2far

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back