psycoperl

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
  3. Web
I am working on a tracking spreadsheet to manage my time and leave. Since I get leave increments credited to my profile at the end of the month I was trying to figure out how to add one month to the date in the cell above. I saw the instructions on Microsoft's website suggesting the use of the EDATE function. However, it does not return the last day of the month. So if I go from August 31 it returns September 30 which is the correct value. However in the next instance it would return October 30 instead of October 31. It is even more drastic when going from February which only has 28 or 29 days, it now constantly returns either the 28 or 29th of the month.

What formula can I use to return the LAST day of each month?

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
It may well be that the suggested formula approach is what you want, but in case it is of use to you, there are a couple of pretty quick manual ways to get such a list too.

1. Enter the first two dates manually (31 Aug and 30 Sep in your example) -> select both of those cells and drag the Fill Handle down as far as you want

1609640413675.png

2. Enter the first date only then either
2a. Select that cell and as many blank cells below as you want then Home ribbon tab --> Fill drop down -> Series ... -> Fill like this then OK

1609640704892.png
or

2b. Select the first date cell only -> complete the Fill Series dialog like this​
1609640835679.png

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grijken

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back