Date Combine from multiple cells

Kindlysinful

Hello all,

I have a problem and would appreciate any ideas. I have an excel sheet that in cell C5 the month and day are formatted as, “Aug 27”. In cell D5 the year and time is formatted as, “ 2021 11:23:45 PM”.

I need to combine the month, day and year in the following format, 08/27/2021. What I came up with so far. In cell L2 I have =datevalue(C5), which returns 08/27. In cell M2 I have =LEFT(D5,5) which returns 2021. In cell M4 I have =L2+M2 which returns 3/10/2027.????? Anyone know why the date is off?

Thank you in advance for any assistance

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
The formula =DATEVALUE(C5) will include the current year (this could be incorrect if the year in D5 is not the current year), you just need to change the cell format to show it. =L2+M2 is adding 2021 days, not joining the year to the date.

You could try =DATEVALUE(C5&" "&D5) instead which should give you the correct result.

edit:- actually that could be incorrect. It should work if your default system date format is mm/dd/yy (US date format) but will likely fail if your default system format is anything else.

Upvote 0
Thank you jasonb75 for taking the time to answer. Unfortunaley, the formula =DATEVALUE(C5&" "&D5) returned #VALUE!

Upvote 0
Please see my edit above, I don't see anything on your user profile to say where you are located so it may not work correctly with your system settings. Having done a quick test, I am not able to force an error from the example text in the cells.

A bit longer but see if this works instead.
Excel Formula:
=DATE(--LEFT(D5,5),MONTH(DATEVALUE(C5),DAY(DATEVALUE(C5))

Upvote 0
Format to your preference
You did not specify the default system date format on your system

N.B. My system is dd-mmm-yy .
If my formula doesn't work for you reverse this part 1&LEFT(C4,3) to LEFT(C4,3)&1

T202108b.xlsm
ABCDE
4C4 is TextAug 272021 11:23:45 PMAugust 27, 2021 11:23:45 PM
5C5 is Date formattedAug 272021 11:23:45 PMAugust 27, 2021 11:23:45 PM
6c
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
E4E4=DATE(LEFT(D4,4),MONTH(1&LEFT(C4,3)),RIGHT(C4,3))+RIGHT(D4,11)
E5E5=C5+RIGHT(D5,11)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You did not specify the default system date format on your system
From the testing that I did earlier, I'm sure that the OP's system format it mm/dd/yy.

If it was dd/mm/yy then their attempted formula would have returned 11/02/2033 instead of 3/10/2027

Upvote 0
Thank you once again. I am in the USA, I didn't realize that region location would matter, that's interesting. That is what I like about these forums, there is always something to learn.

The formula provided was missing a couple ")". Not entierly certain why it flagged that. But once I put those in, WORKED BEAUTIFULLY. Here is what I ended up with:
=DATE(--LEFT(D5,5),MONTH(DATEVALUE(C5)),DAY(DATEVALUE(C5)))

Thank you very, very much

Upvote 0
Solution
I am in the USA, I didn't realize that region location would matter, that's interesting.
Different countries format their dates in different ways. In numeric format it can cause inconsistency, 1/10/21 is January 10th in US format, but October 1st in UK format. With text dates, the month names may not be recognised, or other inconsistencies may happen depending on the way it is entered. Aug-27 for example is month and day in US format but it is month and year in UK format, which is the reason behind the differing results.

Upvote 0
I deleted the time and edited the formula.
To show the result in USA format, I used Text.
If your your date in C5 is custom formatted as mmm dd; you just have to format the cell to your preference.

T202108b.xlsm
ABCDEF
4C4 is TextAug 272021 11:23:45 PM27-Aug-2108/27/2021
5C5 is Date formatted mmm ddAug 272021 11:23:45 PM08/27/2021
6c
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
E4E4=DATE(LEFT(D4,4),MONTH(LEFT(C4,3)&1),DAY(RIGHT(C4,2)))
F4F4=TEXT(E4,"mm/dd/yyyy")
F5F5=TEXT(C5,"mm/dd/yyyy")

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omarahmed1

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back