Date data validation formula

Ceallach

I have a basic spreadsheet where staff enter details of events they're planning, it's in a set format so the date of event goes in a specific row. Even with only 4 events per month there's an issue with people not checking and trying to schedule them too close together.

I've been asked to make it so they can't enter a date into the date cells that falls within 7 days (before or after) any other date entered, as the events need to be a minimum of 7 days apart.

Every way I can think of doing it results in some kind of weird circular formula. e.g. having a seperate sheet that picks up the dates and then calculates what dates are still allowed. Is there something I'm missing here?

Also separate to that they want a separate tab with a sort of calendar of the dates so we can see at a glance which weeks we have events scheduled, but again I'm not sure how to get that done in date order. It sounded like a basic task but not I'm thinking my Excel is rustier than I thought it was! Help appreciated!

I added another feature in the code. If you pick a wrong date then it will pop up a message to pick another date & also show other relevant dates (which would be violated when you pick that specific date).

Code:
[FONT=lucida console][COLOR=Royalblue]Private[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Sub[/COLOR] Worksheet_Change([COLOR=Royalblue]ByVal[/COLOR] Target [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] Range)
[COLOR=Royalblue]If[/COLOR] Target.Cells.CountLarge <> [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Then[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Exit[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Sub[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Royalblue]If[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Not[/COLOR] Intersect(Target, Range([COLOR=brown]"A1:A10"[/COLOR])) [COLOR=Royalblue]Is[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Nothing[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Then[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=Royalblue]Dim[/COLOR] c [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] Range, flag [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Boolean[/COLOR], tx [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]String[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=Royalblue]If[/COLOR] IsDate(Target) [COLOR=Royalblue]Then[/COLOR]
            flag = [COLOR=Royalblue]True[/COLOR]: tx = [COLOR=brown]""[/COLOR]
            [COLOR=Royalblue]For[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Each[/COLOR] c [COLOR=Royalblue]In[/COLOR] Range([COLOR=brown]"A1:A10"[/COLOR])

[COLOR=Royalblue]If[/COLOR] Len(c) > [COLOR=crimson]0[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]And[/COLOR] IsDate(c) [COLOR=Royalblue]And[/COLOR] c.Address <> Target.Address _
                [COLOR=Royalblue]And[/COLOR] (c.Offset(, [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]) = [COLOR=brown]"Whole venue"[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Or[/COLOR] Target.Offset(, [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]) = [COLOR=brown]"Whole venue"[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Or[/COLOR] _
                c.Offset(, [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]) = Target.Offset(, [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR])) [COLOR=Royalblue]Then[/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=Royalblue]If[/COLOR] Abs(DateDiff([COLOR=brown]"d"[/COLOR], [COLOR=Royalblue]CDate[/COLOR](Target), [COLOR=Royalblue]CDate[/COLOR](c))) < [COLOR=crimson]7[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Then[/COLOR]
                    tx = tx & c & [COLOR=brown]" : "[/COLOR] & c.Offset(, [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]) & vbLf
                    flag = [COLOR=Royalblue]False[/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=Royalblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]If[/COLOR]
            [COLOR=Royalblue]Next[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Royalblue]If[/COLOR] flag = [COLOR=Royalblue]False[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Then[/COLOR]
                    MsgBox [COLOR=brown]"Pick another date."[/COLOR] & vbLf & [COLOR=brown]"This has been allocated:"[/COLOR] & vbLf & tx, vbCritical
                    Application.EnableEvents = [COLOR=Royalblue]False[/COLOR]
                    Target.Activate
                    Target.ClearContents
                    Application.EnableEvents = [COLOR=Royalblue]True[/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=Royalblue]Exit[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Sub[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Royalblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Sub[/COLOR]
[/FONT]

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
I have encountered a problem!

If I have a "Green room" event booked for 14/11/2019 it still lets me book a "full venue" event for 15/11/2019. Even though the Green room is already booked. It works the other way around e.g. if the whole venue event is booked first it won't let the other one be booked. But basically the first event should take precedence.

Upvote 0
If I have a "Green room" event booked for 14/11/2019 it still lets me book a "full venue" event for 15/11/2019.
Make sure that all the text/terms are the same, it's case sensitive, and check maybe there are extra/trailing space .
In the example you gave me the term is "Whole venue" not "full venue".

Upvote 0
Sorry, you're right, it's definitely whole venue not full venue! So if a part venue is booked it shouldn't let the whole venue be booked at all with the 7 days, right? Because there's a few other part venues too, not just the examples I gave. Do the specific ones need to be listed somewhere, or is it set so *any* of the part ones are not compatible with "Whole venue' being booked? (Which is correct).

Upvote 0
Another question, is there a way (in a separate sheet) if I had the Months of the year laid out (sort of calendar style) to have it capture the dates entered for that particular month, but in date order? So at a glance if a manager or somebody wanted to see which dates were booked for "November" they can just look at that and see which weeks have bookings? Ideally I don't want them to need to run a macro or play with a pivot table, just have something that auto-populates from the data.

Upvote 0
I think you may want to put data validation in col B (listing all the options) to make sure that the user use the exact same terms.

Upvote 0
I think you may want to put data validation in col B (listing all the options) to make sure that the user use the exact same terms.

Ok I'm still having the problem

If I enter: 1/10/19 Green Room

it then allows me to enter

1/10/19 on the next row as well with no warning, and I can put Whole venue.

But if the first one is Whole venue it won't let me enter the same date again.

All I've changed in the code is instead of A1:A10 my range is B1:B99 because I have a new column A (for a different purpose) so it's all moved along one. And because we will need more entries than 10 obviously. But that shouldn't affect anything else? Not sure what I've done!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back