Date Extraction

LeeBillington

Board Regular
So I'm trying to get a formula to extract a date from a second sheet labeled register but it keeps coming up with some random number "42051" which isnt even on the sheet.. anyone know where i am going wrong?

=IF(C6="","",VLOOKUP(C6,Register!$A$3:$G$400,7,FALSE))

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
If your destination cell was formatted as date, it would probably look like a date instead of the date value, which the 42051 most likely is.

Upvote 0
Try:
Code:
=TEXT(IFERROR(VLOOKUP(C6,Register!$A$3:$G$400,7,0),""), "DD MMM YYYY HH:MM")
Edit the formatting for the TEXT argument to suit.

Upvote 0
Worked thankyou :D

can you help me with another?

basically i want the date in that cell to be worked out in another cell of the exact length.
i've copied this formula from somewhere and slightly changed it but all im getting is #VALUE

=IF(B13="","",DATEDIF(B13,J1,"Y")&" Years, "&DATEDIF(B13,J1,"YM")&" Months, "&DATEDIF(B13,J1,"MD")&" Days")

Upvote 0
Worked thankyou :D

can you help me with another?

basically i want the date in that cell to be worked out in another cell of the exact length.
i've copied this formula from somewhere and slightly changed it but all im getting is #VALUE

=IF(B13="","",DATEDIF(B13,J1,"Y")&" Years, "&DATEDIF(B13,J1,"YM")&" Months, "&DATEDIF(B13,J1,"MD")&" Days")

Upvote 0
If B13 and J1 are true dates (numbers) and B13 <= J1, the formula will succeed as intended.

Better:

=IF(ISNUMBER(B13*J1),IF(B13 <= J1, DATEDIF(B13,J1,"Y")&" Years, "&DATEDIF(B13,J1,"YM")&" Months, "&DATEDIF(B13,J1,"MD")&" Days",""),"")

Upvote 0
42051 is the date serial number for Feb 16 2015.

In Excel dates are really just numbers formatted to look like dates. These numbers are commonly referred to as the date serial number. The date serial number is the count of days starting from a base date. In Windows Excel the default base date is January 1, 1900. So, January 1, 1900 is date serial number 1.

Jan 1 1900 = date serial number 1
Jan 2 1900 = date serial number 2
Jan 3 1900 = date serial number 3
Jan 4 1900 = date serial number 4
Jan 5 1900 = date serial number 5
etc
etc
Jan 1 1975 = date serial number 27395
Jan 1 2000 = date serial number 36526
Jan 1 2016 = date serial number 42370

You can see the date serial number by entering some date in a cell and then changing that cells format to General or Number.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adamsxl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back