Date format issue - dd/mm/yyyy

princessdy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi! I am desperate. I purposely registered just to ask this question. Hope you can help.

I have a shared file in server. I change all date values to dd/mm/yyyy format. But every time another user opens it, the format becomes d/m/yyyy. I prefer dd/mm/yyyy so all numbers are aligned.

How do I solve this issue? I cannot possibly ask all users to change their PC settings or whatnot.

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Do you mean that you selected the columns that contain dates and formatted the cells for date format "dd/mm/yyyy"?

Upvote 0
Do you mean that you selected the columns that contain dates and formatted the cells for date format "dd/mm/yyyy"?
Yes. The file contains dates, numbers and client info. I selected the columns showing dates and formatted them to dd/mm/yyyy. But it keeps reverting to d/m/yyyy eg 3/1/2020 instead of 03/01/2020. I want uniform 2digits/2digits/4digits format. The file is shared with other users. Is there anyway I can override the format to always show dd/mm/yyyy regardless of who uses the file?

Upvote 0
That's strange... Are all the users using the same Office version and the same regional settings?
Is this a .xlsx or .xlsm? Are you allowed to add a macro, that would reformat the dates at file open? Anyway I would suggest formatting as dd-mmm-yyyy

Upvote 0
Yes we are using the same Office 365 version. Right now the file is .xlsx. I can’t be sure of the regional settings but in my mind regional settings only affect dd/mm vs mm/dd. And we are all using day-month date format. But I can be wrong. We are allowed to use macro. But I am not a coder.

I will try dd-mmm-yyyy format. I am unaware it is different from dd/mm/yyyy format 😅

Upvote 0
"Date formats that begin with an asterisk(*) respond to changes in the regional date and time settings that are specified for the operating system."
Short Date appears to have a default of "m/d/yyyy" for Country/Region (English (United States)).
I am confused as well.
Are you assigning your desired format by typing it in using the Custom Format option?
Or is the format becoming something like "[$-en-US] dd/mm/yyyy" ?

(Not applicable for the OP, however, when working with the possible international confusion, I use a format that does short text on the month, like "DD-MMM-YYYY" or "MMM DD, YYYY" yielding, "29-JUL-2022" )

Upvote 0
Don't miss the message from SpillerBD, above...

dd/mm/yyyy will display 29/07/2022, whereas dd/mmm/yyyy will display 29/jul/2022 or dd-mmm-2022 will display 29-jul-2022

If you may convert the file to xlsm (macro enabled) then do the following:
-open the file and select a worksheet where you don't need to format cells
-start recording a macro; see Automate tasks with the Macro Recorder for the basic information. Chose to record the macro within "this workbook" and assign it the name Dateformat

Then:
-select the first sheet to format
-select the first column (or range) to format
-apply the desired format
-repeat with other columns or ranges in the sheet
-select one by one the other sheets to format, and apply the format one after the other
-when you are done, select the first sheet and press the Esc key
-stop the recording
Now your "Sub Dateformat" is ready

But we want to execute it whenever the workbook be open:
-see Automatically run a macro when opening a workbook for information
-open the Visual Basic environment and locate the module ThisWorkbook
-doubleclick on the module ThisWorkbook
-insert the following code into the empty code area:
Code:
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    Call Dateformat
End Sub

Return to excel and save the file as .xlsm

Close and reopen the file; you will probably see the sheets and the areas that get selected and formatted in sequence. Il this "flickering" disturbs then let's modify Sub Dateformat code. From excel:
-type Alt-F8, select Dateformat from the list of the available macro, press Edit. This will open the Visual basic interface and will show the code of the recorded macro.
-add these two instruction at the beginning and just befor the end:
Code:
Sub Dateformat()
'
Application.ScreenUpdating = False          '<<< ADD
'
'here the recorded code
'
Application.ScreenUpdating = True           '<<< ADD
End Sub

If you save, close and reopen the file now the process of formatting should be not visible

Try...

Upvote 0
Solution
Wow! Thanks so much for this! I will try to follow closely since I’m not very adept at macro.

Upvote 0
"Date formats that begin with an asterisk(*) respond to changes in the regional date and time settings that are specified for the operating system."
Short Date appears to have a default of "m/d/yyyy" for Country/Region (English (United States)).
I am confused as well.
Are you assigning your desired format by typing it in using the Custom Format option?
Or is the format becoming something like "[$-en-US] dd/mm/yyyy" ?

(Not applicable for the OP, however, when working with the possible international confusion, I use a format that does short text on the month, like "DD-MMM-YYYY" or "MMM DD, YYYY" yielding, "29-JUL-2022" )
Regarding your first question, I am typing it using the Custom format option. I don’t think I ever chose [$-en-US] dd/mm/yyyy if ever there was an option like that.

Does it help that I am from Singapore? And our office PC all have Singapore date settings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wow! Thanks so much for this! I will try to follow closely since I’m not very adept at macro.
Don't miss the message from SpillerBD, above...

dd/mm/yyyy will display 29/07/2022, whereas dd/mmm/yyyy will display 29/jul/2022 or dd-mmm-2022 will display 29-jul-2022

If you may convert the file to xlsm (macro enabled) then do the following:
-open the file and select a worksheet where you don't need to format cells
-start recording a macro; see Automate tasks with the Macro Recorder for the basic information. Chose to record the macro within "this workbook" and assign it the name Dateformat

Then:
-select the first sheet to format
-select the first column (or range) to format
-apply the desired format
-repeat with other columns or ranges in the sheet
-select one by one the other sheets to format, and apply the format one after the other
-when you are done, select the first sheet and press the Esc key
-stop the recording
Now your "Sub Dateformat" is ready

But we want to execute it whenever the workbook be open:
-see Automatically run a macro when opening a workbook for information
-open the Visual Basic environment and locate the module ThisWorkbook
-doubleclick on the module ThisWorkbook
-insert the following code into the empty code area:
Code:
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    Call Dateformat
End Sub

Return to excel and save the file as .xlsm

Close and reopen the file; you will probably see the sheets and the areas that get selected and formatted in sequence. Il this "flickering" disturbs then let's modify Sub Dateformat code. From excel:
-type Alt-F8, select Dateformat from the list of the available macro, press Edit. This will open the Visual basic interface and will show the code of the recorded macro.
-add these two instruction at the beginning and just befor the end:
Code:
Sub Dateformat()
'
Application.ScreenUpdating = False          '<<< ADD
'
'here the recorded code
'
Application.ScreenUpdating = True           '<<< ADD
End Sub

If you save, close and reopen the file now the process of formatting should be not visible

Try...

I tried it. I opened the new .xlsm file and there was no flickering so I stopped there.

Should there be any changes to this ie when the other users experience the flickering or what not, we will try to follow the next steps above.

Thanks a lot!! My above issue has been a puzzle to me for years. I initially thought the other users are reverting back the format to d/m/yyyy but there are not doing any formatting to the file at all.

When I change the format every time to my desired format dd/mm/yyyy and close and open the file again just to check if the format changed - it doesn't. So I came to the conclusion that the other users' PC must be automatically reverting the date format to d/m/yyyy.

You are a life-saver!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vmanchoppy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back