Date Format issue

mgstilwell

A1 is start date
A2 is finish date
A3 is total days between the dates

I am trying to copy and paste a file with hundreds of start/finish dates onto another file which had previously been formulated to calculate the two cells and give me the total days between the two dates. Problem is the dates input within the first sheet look like this Jul-9-20, the sheet I am copying to was originaly setup for this format 7/9/2020. When I try to copy and paste the 3rd cell gives me an error because it does not recognize Jul-9-20 format? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
I don't think it is the Cell Formatting causing the issue, but rather how the data was entered.
Excel actually stores dates as numbers, specifically the number of days since 1/0/1900.
So, you can change the cell formatting on any date, and it will not change the underlying date. Excel really sees the underlying value, which you can see by changing any valid date entries to "General" format.

If you are getting errors, it is probably because those values are entered as Text instead of Dates/Numbers.
There are two tell-tale signs of this.
1. If the entry is left-justified. By default, all text entries are left-justifed, and all valid date/numeric entries are right-justified.
2. If you change the format of the cell to "General", and it still shows "Jul-9-20". That is because formatting only affects numeric entries, not text ones.

So you will need to convert those "text" entries to valid dates.
If they ALL are like that, you can select the whole column, and do a "Text to Columns" (found on the Data menu), selecting the Date option in Step 3 with the "MDY" option.
If only some are entered as Text, if you sort the column, all the Text entries should fall to the bottom of that list.
If there are only a few, you can fix manually. If there are a bunch, copy them to a blank column, do the "Text to Columns" trick on them, and then move them back.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back