Date format problem

ExcelJay4

Platform
  1. Windows
Hey,

I have a problem where I can type dates dd/mm/yyyy but when I type it dd.mm.yyyy as I'm accustomed to it comes as a decimal. If I try to change the decimal to short date it appears as 00/01/1900. Appreciate your help :).

Yes region is Finland. Regional format is English (Finland). Calendar: Gregorian Calendar. Short date: 16/03/2023.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
so you should only enter dates as dd/mm/yyyy. Even if the cell is formatted differently. Excel will then change how it is displayed.

Upvote 0
I think you need to enter dates either using the DATE function (as above) or in however your windows regional settings are established.
So there is no way of using dd.mm.yyyy format when regional format in windows is dd/mm/yyyy?

Upvote 0
So there is no way of using dd.mm.yyyy format when regional format in windows is dd/mm/yyyy?
No... you can format the cells that way. I just don't think you can enter the date that way.

Upvote 0
Hope this picture clarifies my problem a bit.

Attachments

• problem with dates.png
    problem with dates.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0
No... you can format the cells that way. I just don't think you can enter the date that way.
Thank you. Not anymore excel question but I'll try. When going to windows regional setting for short date it shows 2 options 16/03/2023 or 16 Mar 2023. So there seems to be no way for me to have the basic formatting as dd.mm.yyyy...

Upvote 0
So basically if there is somekind of formula to change the the decimal of the date to date it would also help.

Upvote 0
So basically if there is somekind of formula to change the the decimal of the date to date it would also help.
what do you mean? Are you importing data that is dd.mm.yyyy? or pasting?

My suggestion would be to import or paste this into cells formatted as TEXT. Then use this formula to covert it into a date value (in any cell not formatted as text):
(assuming the date that was pasted as text is in column B starting in row 2):
=DATE(RIGHT(B2,4),MID(B2,FIND(".",B2)+1,FIND(".",B2,FIND(".",B2)+1)-FIND(".",B2)-1),LEFT(B2,FIND(".",B2)-1))

To see it more clearly:
=DATE(RIGHT(B2,4),
MID(B2,FIND("/",B2)+1,FIND("/",B2,FIND("/",B2)+1)-FIND("/",B2)-1),
LEFT(B2,FIND("/",B2)-1))

Upvote 0
Okay last try. So the goal is to get these decimals to dd.mm.yyyy.

Attachments

• problem pic.png
    problem pic.png
    88.7 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0
Yeah I think the design just sucks since date 12.08.2021 is returned as 0,528946759259259 and date 14.12.21 as 0,61505787037037. Or does that make any sense?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back