Date Formatting Issue

ardanni90

Hello all,

I am having an issue formatting a cell that contains data from a .txt file into a new date format.

The cell shows data as 151201 and the format is "general." When I change the cell format to any date format, I get the date as 12/21/2313. I need it to say 12/01/2015.

Can any one please assist?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Hi Adam & Welcome to the Forum,

I believe you will need a formula to convert this

=(MID(A1,3,2)&"/"&RIGHT(A1,2)&"/"&20&LEFT(A1,2))+0

then custom format to the date format you desire

Upvote 0
The data there reflects the date 12/21/2313. There is no getting around that... What does the text file say?

Also how do you know the date is suppose to be 12/01/2015?

Upvote 0
I am having an issue formatting a cell that contains data from a .txt file into a new date format.

The cell shows data as 151201 and the format is "general." When I change the cell format to any date format, I get the date as 12/21/2313. I need it to say 12/01/2015.
Your "dates" are not real dates. Since it would involve physically changing the underlying value in the cell, you cannot make the change you want using Cell Formatting. Try this instead... select the column with your "dates", call up the Text To Columns dialog box (Data tab, Data Tools panel), click the Next button twice (to get to Step 3 of 3)... select the Date option button (upper left section of dialog page) and set the dropdown control next to it to YMD and then click the Finish button... you cells should now contain real dates that you can format with any date format you want.

Upvote 0
Jeff's formula worked perfectly for me!
:confused: You originally asked about using Cell Formatting which indicated you wanted to change the values directly in place... is that not what you really wanted? If it is, then did you see what I posted in Message #4?

Upvote 0
It was, but when Jeff posted his formula, I applied it to my file and was able to get the result I was looking for. I appreciate your help too though!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back