Hi

I have a list of dates as follows...
Fri 01-Jun-18
Fri 29-Jun-18
Wed 01-Aug-18
Fri 31-Aug-18
Mon 01-Oct-18
Thu 01-Nov-18

These are actual paydays associated with the nominal payday of "first the month". ( If the 1st falls on a weekend you get paid on the previous Friday)

Is there a way of Formatting these so that the actual dates are retained unchanged in the respective cell values, but actually displaying them as "Jun", "Jul", "Aug", "Sep" etc. Obviously I can do this by introducing another column.... but is there a way I can I do it "IN PLACE" by clever date formatting?

Many Thanks
Rob

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Is there a way of Formatting these so that the actual dates are retained unchanged in the respective cell values, but actually displaying them as "Jun", "Jul", "Aug", "Sep" etc. Obviously I can do this by introducing another column.... but is there a way I can I do it "IN PLACE" by clever date formatting?
As long as those are valid date entries (and not text - you cannot format text), just change the format of the cells to "mmm".

Upvote 0
if your cell contains a valid date value you can customise the format to mmm but if you just have text made to look like a date it will be more complicated

Upvote 0
Thanks Joe. Yes, these are valid date entries ( currently custom formatted as "ddd dd-mmm-yy"), and I do understand the concept of date formatting strings. My problem is a little deeper than I think you have noticed; for example, formatting with "mmm" would display the cell containing Fri 29-Jun-18 as "Jun", whereas this is the July payday, so I want to see "Jul" . Do you see my problem?
What I am really trying to achieve is to use this list of dates as the X-values in an X-Y chart, where the X position of a point is determined by the cell value (29 Jun in the above example), but the label attached to that point is displayed as the nominal pay-month string ("Jul" in the above example). Any thoughts welcome.

Upvote 0
My problem is a little deeper than I think you have noticed; for example, formatting with "mmm" would display the cell containing Fri 29-Jun-18 as "Jun", whereas this is the July payday, so I want to see "Jul" . Do you see my problem?
I don't think you are going to be able to handle that with "straight up" formatting. Formatting simply formats the current data in the cell, it does not do mathematical computations on the cell, and then format that.

I think you might need a helper column. Since a weekend is at most two days, you could simply use a formula in this helper column that adds two to your date and format that cell as "mmm".

Last edited:
Upvote 0
how are you getting your dates? if they're references to other cells or data you could use a formula

Book1
OP
5424/02/2018Feb
5525/02/2018Feb
5626/02/2018Mar
5727/02/2018Mar
5828/02/2018Mar
591/03/2018Mar
6025/03/2018Mar
6126/03/2018Apr
6227/03/2018Apr
6328/03/2018Apr
6429/03/2018Apr
6530/03/2018Apr
6631/03/2018Apr
671/04/2018Apr
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
P54=TEXT(MONTH(EOMONTH(O54,(DAY(O54)>25)+0))*29,"mmm")

if the dates are entered into those cells manually then i dont see why you cant just enter them is as what you want

Upvote 0
fhgwgads,

I think that may be overcomplicating it a bit. This is what they said.
( If the 1st falls on a weekend you get paid on the previous Friday)
So, it seems that it could only be three possible days, the 1st of a month, or one of the last two days of a month.
In which case, simply adding 2 days to the date will be guaranteed to get you in the right month.

So, you could simplify your formula to this:
Code:
=TEXT(054+2,"mmm")
(or just add 2 and use the date format of "mmm", like I suggested)

If things like holidays need to be accounted for, just change the "+2" part to something like "+5". Based on the assumptions, you will still fall in the right month.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rkmenon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back