Date from row of dates corresponding to first non-blank cell in other row

salange

Board Regular
Hi all - this spreadsheet is for tracking volunteers at a wildlife center. I need a formula that returns the first date that a volunteer showed up this year. Each cell from BN7 down and right contains the number of hours that each vol worked on each day. So basically, for each vol, I need a formula that returns the date in row 5 that corresponds with the first non-blank cell for that vol past BN. Dylan should return 1/3, Sarah and Irfan should return a blank or an error or whatever, Casey should return 1/7, etc.

I think it should involve an array formula and maybe SORT but past that I'm pretty stumped. Any help would be much appreciated - thanks!

(I'm actually using Google Sheets but didn't get any bites in that forum so I'll take an Excel solution and translate it myself. Thanks!)

Attachments

• mrexcel example.jpg
    mrexcel example.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 14

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Hi,
Not sure to fully understand your question ...
But, usually, to get the value of your first non-blank cell in a given range, you could use the following Array formula:
Excel Formula:
=INDEX(yourRange,MATCH(FALSE,ISBLANK(yourRange),0))}

Upvote 1
Thank you for the response! That formula works as you said, but I don't ultimately want the value of the first non-blank cell. I want the date that the first non-blank cell corresponds with. In the image attached above, you can see the dates in row 5 and the names in rows 7, 8, 9, etc. So for Dylan, your formula returns "4," which is indeed the number of hours he worked on his first day, but I want it to return "1/3" to tell me he worked those hours on January 3.

Any additional help would be most appreciated! Thank you!

Upvote 0
I made a mini-sheet in Excel to hopefully communicate more clearly what I'm looking for. In this version, the formula I want goes in column B, and it should return 1/2/23 for Alice, 1/3/23 for Bob, and 1/1/23 for Carrie. Thank you in advance for any help y'all can provide!

scott's test file.xlsx
ABCDEFG
1NameFirst Date Worked1/1/20231/2/20231/3/20231/4/20231/5/2023
2Alice34
3Bob42
4Carrie85
Sheet1

Upvote 0
I figured it out - just a minor adjustment to James006's formula. The first "YourRange" should be the date range and the second one should be volunteer's hour range. So in my original spreadsheet, it's:

={(INDEX(BN$5:PN$5,MATCH(FALSE,ISBLANK(BN7:PN7),0))}

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Solution
OK ...
There is just a minor adjustement to be made...
Index should refer to row 1 ... and your match to the rows you need to analyze ...;)

Upvote 1
You would have to adjust the ranges but what about just this?

23 03 01.xlsm
BCDEFG
1First Date Worked1/01/20231/02/20231/03/20231/04/20231/05/2023
21/02/202334
31/03/202342
41/01/202385
First Date
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:B4B2=MINIFS(C$1:G$1,C2:G2,"<>")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPav

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back