Date Function

dleitch70

Hi All,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to do the following:

I have 12 cells (one for each month). In the first cell (January) I will have a % complete value, in the next field to the right I will have a % complete for February and so on.

I need a function that will look at current date (i.e. TODAY(), and if today is greater than January 31st, I want the function to return the value for the % complete in February. I need this to repeat; meaning if the current date is > than Feb 28, I want it to return the value from the 3rd field (% complete for March), and so on.

Something like:
=IF(TODAY()>(5/30/2015),M27,IF(TODAY()>(6/30/2015),O27, "And so on). There has to be a better why hand repeating the IF(TODAY()>xxx function over and over. Any suggestions?

Hi gaz_chops.

It's basically like this. There are two columns (B & C). B1 says Billed C1 says % Earned. This is repeated for D1 (Billed) & E1 (% Earned), then again for F1 (Billed) & G1 (% Earned). Basically every second column is % Earned. The 1st % Earned is for May, the 2nd is for June, 3rd July and so on.

In this scenario, it might be that the % Earned for May (column C) is 10 (cell C2). Skip a column, and the next % Earned (Column E) is 20 (cell E2) and so on...

Although there may be a value (forecast) in E2, if it's the month of May, I only want to grab the value from cell C2. If that value is 100, I don't need to go any further. If the value is not 100 and the month is now June, I want to grab the value from E2. if that is 100 I don't need to go any further. If it's not 100 and we now go into July, I need it to grab he % Earned for the July Column (G2) and so on. The value grabbed will be placed in Column A - so the value grabbed (10 or 20 in the example) will be placed in cell A2. This function will then be copied for each row below (3, 4, 5....).

I hope my explanation is clear.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
I understand, what I don't know is how you have entered the Months?

Have you simply entered text as Jan, or text as January, or a date 1/1/2015?

Upvote 0
This is my test sample, it returns 60% for Jun

Code:
[TABLE="width: 1083"]
<colgroup><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>[TR]
[TD][B][COLOR=#ff0000]60%[/COLOR][/B][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Jan[/TD]
[TD]10%[/TD]
[TD]Feb[/TD]
[TD]20%[/TD]
[TD]Mar[/TD]
[TD]30%[/TD]
[TD]Apr[/TD]
[TD]40%[/TD]
[TD]May[/TD]
[TD]50%[/TD]
[TD]Jun[/TD]
[TD]60%[/TD]
[TD]Jul[/TD]
[TD]70%[/TD]
[TD]Aug[/TD]
[TD]80%[/TD]
[TD]Sep[/TD]
[TD]90%[/TD]
[TD]Oct[/TD]
[TD]100%[/TD]
[TD]Nov[/TD]
[TD]110%[/TD]
[TD]Dec[/TD]
[TD]120%[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Upvote 0
Hey, for each month there are 2 columns under it. For example: B1 and C1 are merged and say May. under that B2 says Billed, C2 says % Earned. under that I would have a value in B3 which is amount billed (i.e. $10,000). In C3 it shows the % we've earned (i.e. 10%). setup is exactly the same for June, July, August, etc.

So in your example:

Above Jan and 10 %, 2 cells are merged and say "May". Your Jan would say "Billed" and 10% would say "%Earned". Under Billed would be a dollar amount ($10,000), under %Earned would be 10.

Upvote 0
If you don't answer my question above, I can't help! Depending on how you entered the Month determines how we search for it in the formula.

Upvote 0
OK then try

=MIN(1,INDEX($C3:$Y3,,MATCH(TEXT(TODAY(),"mmmm"),$B$1:$X$1,0)))
(No need to enter as an array)

Code:
[TABLE="width: 1101"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD="colspan: 2"]May[/TD]
[TD="colspan: 2"]June[/TD]
[TD="colspan: 2"]July[/TD]
[TD="colspan: 2"]August[/TD]
[TD="colspan: 2"]September[/TD]
[TD="colspan: 2"]October[/TD]
[TD="colspan: 2"]November[/TD]
[TD="colspan: 2"]December[/TD]
[TD="colspan: 2"]January[/TD]
[TD="colspan: 2"]February[/TD]
[TD="colspan: 2"]March[/TD]
[TD="colspan: 2"]April[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Billed[/TD]
[TD]% Earned[/TD]
[TD]Billed[/TD]
[TD]% Earned[/TD]
[TD]Billed[/TD]
[TD]% Earned[/TD]
[TD]Billed[/TD]
[TD]% Earned[/TD]
[TD]Billed[/TD]
[TD]% Earned[/TD]
[TD]Billed[/TD]
[TD]% Earned[/TD]
[TD]Billed[/TD]
[TD]% Earned[/TD]
[TD]Billed[/TD]
[TD]% Earned[/TD]
[TD]Billed[/TD]
[TD]% Earned[/TD]
[TD]Billed[/TD]
[TD]% Earned[/TD]
[TD]Billed[/TD]
[TD]% Earned[/TD]
[TD]Billed[/TD]
[TD]% Earned[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]20%[/TD]
[TD] 1.00[/TD]
[TD]10%[/TD]
[TD] 1.00[/TD]
[TD]20%[/TD]
[TD] 1.00[/TD]
[TD]30%[/TD]
[TD] 1.00[/TD]
[TD]40%[/TD]
[TD] 1.00[/TD]
[TD]50%[/TD]
[TD] 1.00[/TD]
[TD]60%[/TD]
[TD] 1.00[/TD]
[TD]70%[/TD]
[TD] 1.00[/TD]
[TD]80%[/TD]
[TD] 1.00[/TD]
[TD]90%[/TD]
[TD] 1.00[/TD]
[TD]100%[/TD]
[TD] 1.00[/TD]
[TD]110%[/TD]
[TD] 1.00[/TD]
[TD]120%[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Good morning gaz.

Almost got it. Your function works...thanks! The only problem with it now is that if the % Earned field for current month (i.e. June) is empty, the function returns a value of 100%. In my case (and in your example) 10% may be Earned in May, nothing is earned in June or July, but in August we may now be at a % Earned of 50. So from May-July I need the % Earned to remain at 10%, even though June and July will be empty. When We hit August the value of 50% would be picked up.

I could l go May 10%, June 10%, July 10%, August 50% but some will confuse that and think that by June we earned 20%, by July 30% and by August 80%. This is why I need to leave the cells blank if nothing was billed for that month.

I hope that makes sense.

Upvote 0
Hi Jason,

The function works...thanks! The problem is that if there is value for the previous month (May) and it's 100%, the function doesn't pick it up.

In my case 10% may be Earned in May, nothing is earned in June or July, but in August we may now be at a % Earned of 50. So from May-July I need the % Earned to remain at 10%, even though June and July will be empty. When We hit August the value of 50% would be picked up.

The opposite of this is that if 100% is earned in any month prior to current month, the function doesn't need to go any further. We hit 100% and that's it. Current month, and all subsequent months will be empty.

Basically I need it to And if the value for current month is empty (nothing entered) the function defaults to 100%

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back