date recognition in excel 2003 and 2007

mistymind

Hi, on my old computer with excel 2003, I can enter aug7 into a cell and it will be automatically changed to 7-Aug, with the display in the input field up top reading 8/7/2009. (it always assumes the current year)

On my new computer, with Excel 2007, when I enter aug7, it changes to Aug-07, and the display in the input field up top says 01/08/2007.
So it assumes I have told it the year instead of the day.

How can I make 2007 behave like 2003?

Thanks lots!

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
I use 2007, and when I type aug7 into a cell it acts like your 2003 does - converting it to 8/7/2009 and showing as 7-Aug.

Hmmmm...

Upvote 0
So there must be some default setup somewhere. And there must be some way to change it. I've only been using 2007 for about 2 months, and don't recall changing any default settings since installation. Heck, I couldn't even FIND where the options were hiding.

Could that setting be part of the template for a new blank document? .... No probably not, as I just opened up an excel "Personal Budget I", and had the problem there too, so it seems the problem is with the excel program itself.

So does anyone have any idea of how I can reset my peculiar date recognition so "aug7" will interpret the 7 as the day, not the year?

I suppose I could reinstall.

Sigh!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raviguru

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back