Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All

Hope you all are well

I have a column that stores leavingdate but it’s not in a date format

ie 20210115 (15/01/2021) some rows will be blank and others will have leaving dates in there

what I want to do is get a count of how many of the leave dates are future dates (ie > today’s date but I keep getting an error or type error
I also need to take off the hours where the same condition is met...

my attempt

Count Greater than today

Count(DateSerial(Left(tblData.LeavingDate,4),Mid(tblData.LeavingDate,2),Right(tblData.LeavingDate,2))>Date())

Sum Hours Greater than today

Sum(IIf(DateSerial(Left(tblData.LeavingDate,4),Mid(tblData.LeavingDate,5,2),Right(tblData.LeavingDate,2))>Date(), tblData.Hours, 0))

where am I going wrong

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
string dates in yyyymmdd can be compared as text. So you can play around with something like:

PSEUDOCODE
Code:
if (LeavingDate > format(date(), "yyyymmdd")) then
    '//Is Future
else
    //Is not future

In regards to what you were doing wrong, probably the dateserial function requires integer or numeric arguments. You are passing strings (that look like numbers). That's my guess anyway.

Upvote 0
Thank you

i will change to this syntax - is this correct?

Count(if (tblData.LeavingDate > format(date(), "yyyymmdd")) then 1,0))

and

Sum(if (tblData.LeavingDate > format(date(), "yyyymmdd")) then tblData.Hours, 0))

if there is no dates previously mine gave error message but i will give the code above a try

thank you so much

Upvote 0
I think the syntax in MSAccess would be more like:
Count(IIf(tblData.LeavingDate > format(date(), "yyyymmdd"), 1, 0))
and:
Sum(IIf(tblData.LeavingDate > format(date(), "yyyymmdd"))tblData.Hours, 0))

I really leave it up to you to get the syntax right though. I'm only guessing at this from memory.

Upvote 0
That works super - 1 last thing with the final query

How can i add a filter to not bring back any 0s from the alias column named TodayFTE?

Im basically tryin to get the same result below but add this to where clause which it aint letting me

WHERE LEN(WFM_AgentData2_Today.muID) <> "" AND LEN(WFM_AgentData2_Today.TeamManager) <>"" AND TodayFTE > 0

VBA Code:
SELECT WFM_AgentData2_Today.muID, WFM_AgentData2_Today.TeamManager, WFM_AgentData2_Today.agentName, Round((SUM(WFM_AgentData2_Today.Hours) - SUM(IIf(WFM_AgentData2_Today.LeavingDate < Format(date(),"yyyymmdd"),WFM_AgentData2_Today.Hours,0)))/37,2) As TodayFTE,
Count(WFM_AgentData2_Today.ID) - SUM(IIf(WFM_AgentData2_Today.LeavingDate < Format(date(),"yyyymmdd"),1,0)) AS TodayHeadcount, Date() AS UpdateDate, Month(Date()) AS [Month]
FROM WFM_AgentData2_Today
WHERE LEN(WFM_AgentData2_Today.muID) <> "" AND LEN(WFM_AgentData2_Today.TeamManager) <>""
GROUP BY WFM_AgentData2_Today.muID, WFM_AgentData2_Today.TeamManager,WFM_AgentData2_Today.agentName

Upvote 0
you would want to use the unaliased expression in the where clause:

WHERE LEN(WFM_AgentData2_Today.muID) <> "" AND LEN(WFM_AgentData2_Today.TeamManager) <>"" AND Format(date(),"yyyymmdd"),WFM_AgentData2_Today.Hours,0)))/37,2) > 0

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Xenou
Unfortunately That syntax ain’t working / maybe I’ve got to many brackets

Upvote 0
Yes the expression is not valid.

What is this supposed to be:
Format(date(),"yyyymmdd"),WFM_AgentData2_Today.Hours,0)))/37,2)

Upvote 0
Hiya

this is meant to just take the total hours and take off any leavedate before todays date/37 to get Full Time Equiavalent

the latter syntax i used based on what u said to compare dates

Round((SUM(WFM_AgentData2_Today.Hours) - SUM(IIf(WFM_AgentData2_Today.LeavingDate < Format(date(),"yyyymmdd"),WFM_AgentData2_Today.Hours,0)))/37,2) ad TodaysFTE

Upvote 0
hmm, well that last expression is a valid one ( I think ). What are you trying to put in the where clause?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back