Date, Time, Application.UserName of selected cells for integrity

BravoBravoAu

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all - thanks in advance for your consideration.

I first posed this question yesterday and got a great solution from @Yongle, but I've progressed my needs so have posted a new thread. I'm designing a workbook to update the way my team provides monthly updates to the boss - a shared workbook with a worksheet for each month of the year. Each row will refer to a task assigned to the ten staff in my work area and around ten columns containing relevant categories about the task (eg who its assigned to, what has happened, what you're planning next month), a column for the boss to write comments against each task and then columns to record when and who made the entries. The format in each worksheet will be the same, however will clearly be blank in future worksheets until that month rolls around. Preserving the point in time information is important so overwriting of cells (e.g. "progress this month" in column D) will not occur.

Yesterdays solution to providing Date, Time, Application.UserName solved this issue, however in considering how to apply to only select rows, I wonder if a macro button might be best, conditional on cells being selected. Of interest, I'd like this to apply to column D (columns E:G) and column I (columns J:L) in the below example.

1Task IDAssigned toDate assignedProgress this monthProgress recorded [date]Progress recorded [time]Progress recorded [user]Progress next monthBoss oversightOversight [date]Oversight [time]Oversight [user]
2AG1A.Brown1 Jan 18Almost complete.Review file and finish report.Provide report by end of week 3.
3AG2A.Brown12 Apr 18In abeyance.Prioritise task and request information from stakeholders.Understood no activity. Please address next month.
4BG1P.Green30 Jan 18Requested extensive information about stakeholder activities.Follow up requests and compile when received.Good work addressing all of the stakeholders.

<tbody>
</tbody>

If I wanted to apply the Date, Time, Application.UserName for only rows 2 and 4:

• select those two cells where progress is recorded (for instance D2 and D4)
  • press the macro button (in the header: D1)
  • and as a result, apply the Date, Time, Application.UserName in cells E2:G2 and E4:G4

Secondly, then, when the boss enters his input into column I, he can do the same:

• select those three cells where his input is recorded (for instance I2:I4)
  • press the macro button (in the header: I1)
  • and as a result, apply the Date, Time, Application.UserName in cells J2:L4

Appreciate any help you can provide - VBA is okay, provided my simple mind can follow. Any additional views on integrity of the entries once recorded are welcomed.

Thanks geniuses!!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juliecooper255

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back